Oil Mix

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BigDuck, Jun 2, 2006.

1. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Guys, I got just got a 99 or 2000 model 25 hp Nissan outboard. I'm not sure of the oil-gas ratio, the fellow that owned it before me said "he just added half a jug of oil every time he added gas" as he held up a 16oz jug of 2-cycle oil. So my questions is whats the correct ratio?:confused2:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The mix should be 50:1

3. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Thanks Bubbakat , This is the greatest site on the net!!!! Good luck on the water!:big_smile:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    About any place that sells stuff for boats and motors usually carry cheap plastic bottles with the ratio,s and amount per each gallon etched on the bottles.Makes for easy and correct measuring of oil for all of your 2-cycle engines.peewee-williams

5. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Your Nissan was made by Tohatsu and I own a 2001 Tohatsu 15.

Bubba is right, 50:1 is the proper mix which is actually 15.36 Ounces per 6 gal tank, so, for ease of measurement, most people just add 16 ounces as marked on the bottle side. If you err, doing so on the rich side won't hurt one bit.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well, what if you did what I just did, read the scale wrong and just mixed 12 gallons at a 25:1 ratio? I don't doubt it wouldn't hurt anything, but will it run? Or do I need to drain half out and add gas?

I know, I know, but I just got new glasses so I can't blame it on my eyes, just my brain.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You ain;t the first.Won;t be the last.IF you have the containers,pour 6 gallons off into them and add 6 more gallons of gas to each.You can use it like it is as that is the break in ratio for all 6 of my 50-1 outboards.It might foul your plugs.I have also added my old 2-cycle gas and oil mixes to all my 4-cycle engines that did not have a catalytic converter for over 40 years on a 1 gallon to 4 gallon ratio.peewee-williams

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Man I just love those little mixing bottles. Sure saves a lot of headaches trying to figure out how much oil to add from a 16oz bottle to say 4 gallons of gas while sitting at the pump.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks Peewee, I forgot about that being the breakin ratio. The cost of oil doesn't bother me as much as the trouble of draining and refilling. I think I'll take it out for a test run on a small river near here, before taking it out on the Mississippi River with the mixture like that. One thing I learned real quick is to not take ANY chances on that big river. It has a way of jumping up and biting you real hard when you least expect it.

10. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It should run fine at 25:1 ... might smoke a wee bit .. :smile2: .. but it'll run.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks guy's. I took it out today and it started and ran about the same as normal. Suprized me it didn't smoke. Hmmmmm???