oil mix for a 1953 10hp firestone outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dizzydays, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    i have a 1953 10hp firestone, it says the mix is 1/2 pint sae 30 oil to one gallon, can i use regular 2 stroke oil in this, if so what would the ratio be?

thanks

2. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Go back to page 24 of this forum. Date is 05-17-2007. Same motor, same question (?). Last post has a phone number you might try.

3. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    i can only go to page 16, im new to forums maybe im missing somthing

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That 1953 engine should be made by scott atwater and should be 24:1 ratio on the mix. I will get the amount of oil to a gal in a few and post it for yea.

5. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    thanks very much, one more thing what drive oil should i use, the old oil smells like 80 90 is that right?

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    These days 2 cycle oil is made to work well at 50 t0 1 in any 2 cycle motor.I mixed 50 to 1 for a 1973 20 HP Merc for years with no problems.

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I started using Opti-2 in my old motors, and all my other 2 stroke stuff. One mix ratio covers everything, and it doesn't smoke. I've been using it for 4 years now without any problems what so ever.

OPTI-2

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Any good TCW-3 oil will mix but he needs to mix it at 24:1 because it doesn't have roller bearings. Bad carma that 73 needed to be mixed at 50:1 Any motor made after 1964 was a 50:1 mix. The others were 24:1 mix. now there were a few in the late fall of 1959 on that could be mixed at 50:1 but they were the bigger h/p engines. That lower unit oil should be marine grade 90 weight

9. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    ok, thanks again everyone im sure ill be back with more, sure love this old motor. goin out tomorrow for a test run.

10. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    ok i went out today everything went fine then i hit a log or somthin on the bottom and had to sit in the cold swamp for about 3 hrs, i checked the prob and it was just spinning on the shaft, so i get home pull it apart thinking i was gonna need a new prop, turns out it was a sheer pin that sits under the rubber, going to find another one tomorrow.

and i have another ? the lean rich knob on the motor when i lean it out at wot it runs better but still smokes alot is that normal? it only seems to smoke alot when it gets warm or i let it run at idle to long. there are no notches on the knob for a setting for it. and last ? where is the impeller at is it in the bottom of the foot where it unbolts in the back? it still spits out a good stream but im sure its been 8-9 years since it was replaced. i can add some pic of the bottom if u need them.

thanks again for all of your help.

11. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It's usually a good idea to keep some extra shear pins on the boat, or in you tackle box, just in case.

12. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    ill definitely keep some with me from now on, the boat shop gave me a steel shear pin, the old one looks like brass.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would think anything run at 24:1 would smoke like crazy. Its just a lot of oil, and it wont burn completely.

If you like your motor please follow bubbakat's advice on the mixture. Dad had a motor from somewhere in the 1950-1960 range and it locked up on us. Someone told us to run 40:1 in it.....ran good for a little while :doubt:.

14. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    OK i think i messed up the timing gears when i changed the linkage, if anyone has one of these and could stick a pic of them for me that would be great. looked at hundreds of google pages and found nothing, i have a service book comen but prolly wont be here till Tues or wed.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You might best find some brass or bronze shear pins "IF" you have any doubt about the shear pins.If you do not,the next thing you hit may destroy your prop and the lower unit all at once.What diameter rod fits your prop shaft?Measure it.What was in it may not have been right.Shear pins made of the right material is critical.If you have to change,go weaker/softer than original.never harder.It is better to change them more often,than destroy the prop or gears in a old classic outboard.You can often find brass rods to fit that you can cut yourself with a hacksaw.

Incorrect shear pins have ruined many a old classic outboard.I once had this done to me.A uncle "borrowed" it with out telling me "forgot" and then claimed the motor was fine when he returned it.He had cut a piece of steel and stuck in it for a shear pin.He ruined another outboard of mine by running high detergent oil in it."Outboard motor oil was too high".He was running on Bourbon both times as he normally did his whole life.I told him that I have nothing that is drunk proof.It has been 30 years since I promised to shoot him for stealing another thing of mine.We do not speak at reunions.