Oil Injection removal question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by xringer3, Feb 23, 2007.

1. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a 1994 60hp Johnson with the oil injection. I am wanting to disconect the oil injection option and mix my oil and gas like I'm used to. I don't trust the oil injection. Can anyone tell me what all parts I need and what all I need to do.

From what I understand is I just have to remove the oil line and plug it, remove the electical wifes, then remove the tank. Is this correct?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You have it just about nailed down but what makes you not trust those vro,s

By the time they came out with yours they had about all the bugs worked out. They are simple to check to see if they are putting the oil out.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess I'm just an old dog and this is a new trick. I've always had the two stroke were I had to mix my fuel, and never had any problems. I've heard too many failures with the oil injection. I know the new ones are trustworthy, but also that the ones on my model motor are not. It's also over 10 years old. The motor only has about 150hours on it, but I just don't want to take a chance. I do alot of trolling and want to concentrate on the fish, not the motor.

Thanks a bunch for the reply though.

4. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    be carefull removing WIFES can be costly LOL

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    VRO's took a lot of blame for other problems but if you feel better with it disconnected then by al means do that. After 1989 I would keep one on my motor and they are easy to check for right amount of oil out put.

If you troll a lot with that 60 then make sure you regap the plugs at 40 to keep down the fouling of the plugs. Those jonnie rudes were designed to dine on champion plugs. yours proably was designed with a surface gap plug.

At low speed with you premixing your self they will foul easiely.
    Good luck with it though and If I can help sing out.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea, with my older motor I was used to cleaning the plugs about every second trip. I'm just more confortably with mixing myself.

As far as wives go, I've traded enough of them in already, lol! I think I'll keep this one and just change the "wires".