oil injection leaking

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BigBird, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I am having trouble with yamaha 90 oil injection leaking. It seems wet around black plug on lower half that have wires coming out of.
    I got back last trip and oil tank was empty. Kind of scared me but no engine problems. I put oil in tank and it leaked out to the level of the "L" even with the afore mentioned black plug.
    I wiped down foot yesteday and oil in picture appeared since yesteday. It is running down through the bottom of engine cover down the foot.
    Cant catch fish with oil leaking.
    Can you help me with troubleshooting.

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The only thing that comes to mind is a fitting or a hose. Check all oil lines to make sure they have not rubbed against something causing a small hole in one, and check all connections! According to your pics, you have a reservoir under the engine cover. Check the reservoir for cracks too. Ought to be easy to pinpoint. Gotta get it right before the 24th!! ;-) I'd hate to have to take the 'Big Red Blunt' to a Triumph convention!! :)

Bill in SC

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Cant let that happen Bill.
    Boat has to be ready at all times but Dont have the money to take to the shop so I have to figure it out. Looking for some troubleshooting tips before taking it apart.
    You can see the oil level in the second picture below the place where the black plug with wires i mentioned.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    So it may be leaking around the plug? That plug fits in the reservoir? I'd just wipe ALL the oil off everything. Then hook the engine to a muff and run it in the yard until you see where it's coming from. You might not have to run the engine, but rather just fill the reservoir up. Once again, should be easy to pinpoint if you clean it well

Bill in SC

5. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi lindsay,,i have a 115 yamaha,had same problem,different oil tank,i had to purchase,new tank and alarm sensor,260.00.but i found out i could repair itafter i took it apart.drain your resivoir,and take the tank off ,clean the tank with carb cleaner to get the oil film off of it.remove the low oil alarm sensor and u will find a rubber seal or o;ring,its either the seal/oring or a cracked resevoir.option 1 is to replace it.optio 2 is unplug the wiring harness,plug the oil line.and mix your on oil/gas.hope this helps larry d. grady

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the tips.
    I am taking the reservoir down and working on it tomorrow. I dont think it will be too hot outside to work on the boat, lol.
    How do I test my low oil level alarm while I am working on my reservoir? I would like to know now and not later if it works.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Lindsay, I have the same motor and the same problem! Just noticed it the last time I was out fishing...it has been WAY to cold to do any work on it over here in MO so as of now I am in the same boat as you....PLEASE POST up when you find out exactly what the problem is....you'll definately help a brother out!!! If I do it before you, I will surely let you know! Thanks and good luck! I will be watching this thread closely!:wink:

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    River Rat,
    The jug has a lip around the hole and the cap compression fits over the lip and around. I was advised by a boat mechanic that the plastics gets out of round with age and can be hose clamped. I hose clamped mine lightly and is not leaking. I ran it on the hose yesterday for about an hour but will give it a good test this weekend.
    The cap with the wires I heard was $120.
    Keep in touch with me on your progress and any issues with the 90. Can use all the networking I can get. Blackwaterkatz has the same motor also.
    I found out the hard way after I bought my boat that it wouldnt crank without constant cranking. The motor cant be trimmed to start up quickly. Motor needs to be vertical to go on the first try. Live and learn!
    Later......

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've had mine off and cleaned everything when I rebuilt the carbs some time back. Take it all apart and clean/inspect everything, paying attention to how the oil pickup tube is fitted into the bottom of the tank. There is a hose comes off the bottom and goes to the oil pump, and it has clamps on it, as well as a vent that returns to the top. That hose is supposed to be clear when new, but doesn't stay that way long. It could simply be like Lindsey said, and a clamp may not be tight, or an o-ring. I was able to trim a short piece of hose on the end so that it fit tightly when reassembled. There are only 3 10mm screws that mount it, but be aware that a ground strap for the fuel cold start enrichment grounds through one of them and can easily be overlooked. If the tank has no cracks, etc , then it may just be a loose hose draining the tank.
    You can see a schematic for the oil pump/tank at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx.
    Call me on my cell phone if you need to Lindsey, if you still have the number. If you don't, call me anyway and I'll give you the number. :smile2:

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Lindsay, did you get everything squared away? Congrats on the new James River PB. :smile2:

11. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Tommy,
    The hose clamp worked great. No oil leaking in two days on the water.
    I will post up a picture when my son gets home.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great, BB! Glad you got it solved, and BTW, I like that avatar. :wink:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Damn great photography if you ask me!! :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2: Indeed a fine new avatar, Lindsay!! WELL done!!

BB in SC