Oil Injection Alarm Starts Beeping at 3,000 RPM's

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by achilles555, Jun 7, 2008.

1. achilles555

achilles555 New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a 1988 Mercury 150 XR4 Black Max. She runs perfectly, with one exception: The oil injection alarm starts intermittently beeping (beep - beep - beep) at exactly 3,000 RPM, and won't stop until the RPM's fall below 3,000.

• This alarm is driving me CRAZY! I've replaced the Alarm Module, Regulator, Pump Piston, and checked all tanks and caps and done about everything I can to fix this problem.

• I'm leaning toward the stator being bad on the high side, since the alarm starts at exactly 3,000 RPM. My DVA tester won't be here for 4 more days, so I'm at a loss. I'd hate to go drop $190 on a new stator, and the problem still exist. I might just lose it.

Any suggestions? Thanks, AC.

2. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a nylon gear on the crank shaft that drives the pump, its probably worn and starting to slip at higher RPM's. It's a common problem on those engines.

3. Wudman

Wudman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have an '86 Mariner Magnum 150. I started having some issues with the oil injection system. I talked to several mechanics about it and their consensus was to just remove it...so I did just that. I now premix my gas. That was a pretty simple fix for a 22 year old boat.

Wudman