Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older model Pro V 150 yamaha that i'm looking to un-hook the oiler and mix my fuel manually. Do i just un-hook the electrical plug off the oil tank or is there more to this? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the paper work Bubba, it's a 90 model. It may be fine like it is but i just have a better feeling if i mixed the oil myself. I'm afraid by the time an alarm goes off, I just melted a good motor. I understand it's older buut doesn't have many hours on it. Again, thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
John, I disconected the oiler on my 1995 mercury and now mix my gas. I had two wires
coming from the terminal boad to the oiler. I thought that I would have to run a jumper
on the terminal board to where the wire contected or my buzzer would buzz continuously.
Wrong I did not have to do anything. I just removed the tank and pulled the wires out.
I was suprised that it was not a fail safe system. If I had a wire to open up my motor
would have burned up and the buzzer would not have sounded. Yours might be completely
different I just thought this might be helpful to you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I used to mix my mercury manually, and it gave me peace of mind. That being said, I have owned an '85 90 HP Yamaha Precision Blend for a year and love the oiling injection. In the back of my mind i worry, but its convenient. I may just buy a new oil pump and install it for good measure since mine is so old, may be something you could think about if you decided not to completely disconnect it. I believe i found an OEM pump for mine in the 130-180 Range. If not, I completely understand the using of caution.....i did it before myself.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
John i have a 93 yamaha 115 ,when it was about out of wanrentiy i asked the motor man at the dealership about unhooking the oiler an useing premix ,An he said under no circumstances to do that . The yamaha is different from the others in the carbs for the yamaha are deisgned for gas only .the oil is injecked behind the carbs .you will be making your self a problem .trying to run oil an gas where only gas is supposed to be . I have alway just kept useing the oiler from what i was told by the long time freind an motor man

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
there is a difference in oil injection and oil mix at the pump. Jolly made a good point. After 1989 they had about worked all the bugs out of a VRO system and I ain't scared to use one. The weakest link was the mercury which ran on a plastic whell driven from the motor. Those things would go bad and wham you had bad news. You have oil injection and it is different from VRO. I would keep the oil injection myself.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I like oil injection, just don't wait for an alarm. Pour in a jug of oil before every outing. Tom's Yamaha has 3 lights that light up in stages before the alarm will go off. I think I've only heard the alarm once. Anyways, I think it's a pretty reliable system. The motor is 21 years old, so something is working right.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I have a 1993 90hp Yamaha, the oil injection system has never given me any problems at all. I have often though that they should use a kill switch that would activate if the oil flow stops. I don't think outboard makers will invest much more into 2 cycle technology, I think 2 cycle outboards will go the way of the Dodo bird, due to there higher pollution rate.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would not count the two strokes out yet. Look good at the e-tech Dang good motors cleaner then a 4 stroke and is in fact a 2 stroker.

The thing that sucks is all the new technology is heavy. I have a small boat (1448 jon), and i would hate to hang any more weight than my 25hp 2 stroke yamaha off the back. In the smaller size motors (such as the 25hp), the etec is actually heavier than a 4 stroke. Hoping my current motor lasts a long time, maybe by the time i have to replace it the new stuff will be lighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.