Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

oil coming out prop

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jim 
#1 ·
I have oil coming out the exuast of my prop after running on a water hose.
I have an oil and mixture no vro. could it be the motor oil are did my lower unit seals go bad. It's a Johnson 150GT. 1986 model.

#2 ·
Is it black looking burnt oil? If it is black burnt oil its prob just oil from exhaust. Take the drain plug out of lower unit and see if its same color as whats leaking. My motor had very black looking oil i thought was lower unit oil but when i took out my drain plug for lower unit the oil was brown and clean. May be just oil from exhaust.

#7 ·
Might be time for a tune up and a decarb. This will help it burn off some of the unburned fuel and also conside , if motor is so equiped , Checking or replaceing the T-stat. If the motor can't get to operating temp then this will cause the unburned fuel to show up in the exhaust.

Fellas a little investment in a temp stick will tell you if the motor has reached operating temp and will last a long time. I ck all mine about every other trip out. Just a little insurance.

#8 ·
just smell of it edward ............ black usually means sludge from motor .... the real stinking stuff will be lower unit oil.......... u can smell the difference
...i ran mine on the muffs yesterday and it did the same thing.....
Coach is correct in saying it's probaly from exhaust.

You get build up from alot of idleing/not getting the engine up to top operating temp. Engines in need of a tune up or a decarboning do it too.

As for the real bad smelling gear oil, and it being black, it's not been changed enough. I'm talking about the stuff that's not been changed in over a year or more.

Gear oil will leak out from around the prop more than through the prop.

#9 ·
AND NOW YOU KNOW "The rest of the story"!!!!:smile2: Thats why 2 strokers have a bad rep with the "Greenies"!!!!:eek:oooh: That oily sheen on the water comes from somewhere.Fortunately the new injected 2s like the Optimax etc have virtually eliminated this problem by much better combustion.SAVE THE WORLD and trade that old polluter in for a new engine.Cheer up!! If you lived in California they would probably shoot you on sight or at least burn you in a vat of unburned 2 stroke oil.:smile2: :wink: :big_smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.