Oil Change on 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dave53, May 25, 2006.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Bob, I got my 25 horse 4 stroke and took care to break it in..the manule says I should change the oil every 100 hours..or once a year..I was told by a guy that I work with that I needed to change the oil the first time right after the break in?? Says there is small particals of metal in the oil from the break in ..it that so? Should I change it now? Love this 4 stroke..this 25 uses less gas than the 9.9 I had..and it really moves my 16 ft jon..

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't have much experense with 4 strokes but you can go by the manuel or just change the oil and ease the mind. I know when I buy a new mower, which is different because it is air cooled, I change oil after the first 5 hrs.

If I owned it I would most likely chang the oil. Most to loose is the money for oil and labor to do it. Fresh oil never hurts one as I can remember.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Evening Dave, Check The "Rating" Of the Oil. I know Some Of The 4-Stroke Engine OIls Have A MXT Rating. This Stands For The Manual Transmissions In Motorcycles, Four Stroke That Is.

Since They Are High Reving It It Capatible For The Marine Usage. I Have Used It Before And I Think It Has Some Graphite Additive Or Something, Which Then Appears To Be Metal In Suspension.

I Sent Some Of Mine Out For A Oil Analysis, After I sAw That & Got Scared. THe Tests Results Came Back That All Was Well. There Will Always Be Some Type Of Residue But The Amount That I Thought I Was Seeing, Would Have Made The Testing Machine Go Off The Richter Scale:eek:oooh: Elliot

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i have a 2005 yamaha 4 strock and the manual said to change the oil after the first 10 hours

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I just purchased my boat a couple of months ago. i ask that exact question to the service department mechanics. i was told the same thing, every 100 hours or once a year. i use to own a motorcycle, you had to take them back to the dealer after the break in for various adjustments/oil change, no cost to me of course. i even asked about that, no reason to bring it back to them. just to ease your mind, contact a certified service rep for their advice. i personally feel safe operating mine till next summer, or 100 hours, and am enjoying every hour!:big_smile:

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Change the oil after the break in period, but not the filter.

Some of the smaller 4 stroke engines don't have a filter, they definately need to be changed after the break in period.

That's lower unit oil also.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks to all for the information..my manual also said after 100 hours but I was told by a friend that I needed to change it right after the break in.. I love this motor..it uses about the same amount of gas if not less than my 9.9 did and gets me there a heck of alot faster..with 200 pounds of son, 200 pounds of equipment, and my fat butt..(over the 200) I still get to places in half the time my 9.9 got there.. With no weight but me in the boat it bounces that 16' on top of the water..just love it..and not having to yell over the noice of the motor is great too. I have already put the bug in my wifes ear that ... if, just if someday I get a bigger boat..well ,, I just might have to get a bigger motor!!

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    hey dave change the oil immediatly after break in. you have to think of all the deposits put out from pistons and sleeves boreing out. thats what the break in process is for. so its best to remove the slightly used oil and replace with fresh. now my self i would do this around 2 more times after about 10 hours of run time that way you know you have flushed pretty much all of those deposits out of the engine..

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    My 25 hp Yamaha and 140 Suzuki both stated to change the oil at 10 hours on break-in. But not the filter.
    Both of them were changed like that.
    Pete

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I bought and changed the oil..damn that 4 cycle oil is expensive!!!! Can you use any other kind of oil with these 4 cycle's??

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Sure you can Dave just throw any old automotive oil in there.Heck some of that 97 cent a quart recycled oil will work just fine.In fact if you use that other oil you will be convincing your wife you need a newer ,bigger, motor a LOT sooner than you thought.Think of the 4cycle oil as an investment protection scheme,kind of like an extended warranty.Aotomotive oils are not formulated for the marine environment with its high moisture,corrosion,salt etc. so most manuals will tell you up front not to even think about using them.100hrs is a lot of time between changes so the cost isn't so bad.:smile2:

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    I Only Use Synthetic Oil In My 4 Stroker. I Believe That If You Divide The Cost Between your Fuel Savings & The Longevity You'll Get From that Engine & Good Maintenance It Is By Far A Minimal Investment.

If You Divide The Hours You Spend On Your Boat & Divide The Cost Of The Oil Into It, Versus The Old Oils, I Think You'll Find It's A Whole Lot Cheaper Than Going To A Movie !!

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Look in your manual. It will tell you what the oil needs to be. Or exceed. And as long as it meets that . It will work.
    I know people that have been running Honda 4-strokes for over 10 years. And they buy there oil from Wal-Mart. But it meets what the book states.
    Pete

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks for the advice..I believe the oil was about $7.00 a quart..though it only took 1 and half quarts I thought that was too expensive..I'll look through the manual again..but if I remember right..Mercury only recommended Mercury 4 stroke oil..thats why I was wondering if regular oil or the synthetic oils would work..I understand the 4 strokes run at a higher RPM's than regular vehicles but you would think there would be an oil that would not break down at those speeds and not break you at the same time. As much as I plan to be on the river this year..100 hours will be completed by summers end...

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Good Afternoon, THe Four Stroke Motors Run Lower RPM's Than The Two Strokers, But They Run Higher SUSTAINED RPM's Than A Highway Vehicle Does;Therefore The Need For An Engine Oil With A Higher Rating.

Now It Just So Happens That My Boat Is Up For Service, A Four Stroke Suzuki, That Calls For An "API" Spec Of "SH" Or "SL". So I Look @ The Synthetic Oil That I Have Here In My Shop & It Has A Classification Of "SM", HUMMMMMM.

Out Of Curiosity I Called API, The American Petroleum Institute, & Asked Them About This Classification. I Was Then Enlightened That As The Letters Go Higher In The Alphabet The Higher The Grade And At This Time, "SM" Is The Highest, Making It Supercede What Was Previously Designated For My Engine & The Same Will Follow Over To Your Situation.

HTH, Elliot

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Oh & By The Way I Pay $4.50 per Quart For This Oil @ Napa Auto Parts,Elliot

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks for the feedback ... I'll look into that..do you know if synthetic oils are better for 4 strokes?