ohio's state record catfish gossip

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by joadb, Dec 15, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i was wondering if anyone had any credible info on ohio's record flathead or channel cat.i'm not trying to discredit either of the catches but ive never seen ant pics of either fish and ive heard(from locals) that some shady tactics were used to take the record flathead from clendenning.a 37 lb channel is a huge channel-i'd like to see a pic of the anal fin on that one just to make sure a blue didnt get thrown in the lake during stocking.

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thanks for the link but if thats a pic of Affolter holding a 80lb 5 foot long flatt i aint buyin it.most guys on here got bigger looking fish on their avatar.again,im not trying to discredit the story but i changed my avatar to show me with a 35 lb flathead that looks every bit as big as the one in the link.i know its hard to judge size by a pic,but to give my fish some "scale"i was 6'5 260lbs at the time of my pic.

4. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I AGREE IF THAT FISH IS THE ONE THEN THE PIC DOSNT DO THE FISH ANY JUSTICE

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man oh man you guys arent kidding, that looked like a #35 or smaller in that pic?:eek:oooh: I thought the camera added 10 lbs? LOL:smile2:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with you guys, it dont look a pound over 50. thats being generous to!

not a 76 pounder, but looks bigger than it was! 48.11 if i remember rite.

http://catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=366&c=6&userid=1735

ps: the goofy look on my face is from him clamping down when cuz took the pic(before i had a cam with a viewer or it would have been deleted lol)

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There's tons of questions about the OH record channel cat. Lots of pics of it around. I'll see if I can find some. If Im not mistaken, there are questions about the tail looking like a Blue, Falthead or something like that. I haven't looked @ it in a long while.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, the Ohio record Channel certainly "looks" like a blue and everyone I know agrees, Im sure back in the day, the fisheries biologist ( who works inland, most likely in Columbus) may not have even know the difference between a channel and a Blue. This was at a time when Blues were mighty rare and just based on where it was caught, it "should" have been a channel. I might add that because of fish like this one, the rules have gotten much stricter about state records.

As posted in another post, I am amazed that any Private pond is elgible, ( not a paylake) but yet private pay to join lakes such as Lyre Lake in Fairborn ( Holds the state record Northern Pike record)is elgible??? It wont be long, Ill grow 2 crappies in my 1 acre pond and put in hundreds of pounds of baitfish and claim the record in about 6 years....:wink:

I looked for the picture but couldnt find it, go figure, they have taken so much grief about it I bet they destroyed the images..her eis info for ohio's records.
    http://www.outdoorwritersofohio.com/attach/HookLine.pdf

Salmonid

9. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thanks for replying mellon.if im right i think ive read something you posted one time about the record flat and how it was caught?the only reason this bothers me is cause their are guys catching big flatts and channels and they might have their name in the books if these other catches are shady.i know that records arent everything but i think all of us have thought about seing our name on the record list.if i remember right ,riverking caught a big-big flathead a couple of years back and their are other guys targeting and catching fish over 50lbs every year.another thought on the flathead record is that unless the fish came in through one of the feeder creeks(and i think maybe the only reason flatts are in the stillwater and brushy fork are from fish going over the dam in the MWCD lakes) it would have only been a 10 or 15 year old fish and reached 80lbs.according to the dnr office up here in akron(i dont take it a gospel) flatheads were only stocked inland once in the late 60s.thats a big fish for being 10 or 15?

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    a buddy of mine caught a 25lb flat a few years ago and it was eaten by a 69 lb before he landed it, no kidding I have seen the pics. Would this have qualified as 94lb fish had he went thru the process? His 69 lber made that state record fish look like a guppy.that fish was released back into the lake immediatly after pics taken. I was sworn to never tell where caught but it was a MWCD lake.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    trust me. its only a matter of time and the state record flathead is gonna fall to a bigger one..and it will come from a lake..:wink: rollo

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I totally agree with that. There are some monsters swimming around in certain Ohio lakes and it's only a matter of time before someone lands one of these beast.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    East fork lake here in Batavia has some hawgs thats for sure, hopefully I will find a couple come spring,:wink:

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've been looking up information on the Muskingum Watershed Disrtrict lakes online recently. It's amazing that all of these lakes drain into the muskingum eventually. Some of these lakes are way up near akron and east liverpool. I know the licking river comes out of dillon, and wills creek obviously comes out of wills creek resovoir. But what I'm curious about is what tributaries connect those lakes so far away, like seneca, tappan, clendining, and i think there's a few more im missing further north. I've been looking for a detailed map of the Muskingum Watershed District to see how it really all connects. I'm sure some of you have it all mapped out in your heads, but does anyone know a link that has a detailed map that i can look at?

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I do know that the Dam at Salt Fork is the head of Wills Creek which is 22 miles upstream from the Wills Creek Dam. That's all I know. :wink:

16. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Actually Wills Creek starts at Seneca Lake and flows north trough Cambridge and past Salt Fork.

This map is a little tricky to use but it's the best I can find right now. You have to allow pop ups from the ODNR site or it will not work.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/website/watercraft/watercraftfacilities2/viewer.htm

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you all still can not count out the ohio, lower scioto and lower great miami rivers especially also good possibilities there also for that to be broken. not to mention some small old farm pond that has been around for over 4o years or so:wink: