Ohio's flathead record, why has it not been broken?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 28, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the State record flattie was caught way back in 1976 from clendening lake...That is 31 years ago..We have alot more people fishing for flatheads now, and alot of info out there on how to target these fish.

It seems kinda odd that no one has topped it?

Have you ever had a fish on and lost him that felt much bigger than anything you have ever caught? I have, just last year when I had a knot slip on me.

Felt way bigger than the 40-lber I had caught a week earlier and I was having doubts if I was gonna turn him before my knot slipped.

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    yes....i had that fish this past summer on the muskingum river that i thought might of been the record this thing was to big for my net that was 60 pound cappable and swam right throw it pissed me off but there is always anouther day.....i ended the year in augest with a 44 incher i didnt have a scale but im rounding off at about 47 pounds

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think you nailed the answer in your post. There is a lot more people fishing for the big flats now and they take a good deal of time to grow in our smaller river systems.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Jack,
    My perdiction is that someone is going to break the Flathead record this year. They are just few and far between. I think by the time a flathead reaches that size it has also learned quite a bit about fishermen also. I have not heard any reports of large flats being found dead floating in a lake, so let's go catch them this year.

Jeff

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    It could also be that with all the information out there that if someone has caught it they did a Catch Photo Release. Just reading about how much crap you have to go thur to get one certified if I ever did come close to catching a record I dont know if I would try to certify it due to the stress on the fish.

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a nice flat head:wink:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thank you for helping me neocats

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a nice shirt i hope you kill michigan this year:smile2:

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    big flat head:wink:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes jack we have had bigger than normall fish on. we have been broke off 4-5 times in the last 4 years. we use 40# big game.

11. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    in the last couple of years fish in the mid-60lb class have been caught in the mcwd lakes.the record is gonna fall soon.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    They are out there. Just not as many as we would like. I guess that is what makes it exciting to hunt for them. Every time I go, I have the expectation of hooking the next record size flathead. We have some very good catmen on here, and soon we will have one caught. Hell Riverking was only 8 pounds from tying the record with his big flathead lol. Keep at it boys.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'll have my OH license this year so it'll be broken...:crazy::wink::smile2:

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Why has the record not been broken???? Maybe because I haven't been able to fish Ohio. Maybe I will come up and break it for ya'll.......LOL just kidding. It might very well be broke this year with all the BOC brethren targeting large flatheads. I sure wouldn't want to be a flathead swimming in Ohio waters....everybody gunning for me and all them tempting bluegils swimming around with hooks in them. Make a fish want to switch his diet to....Livers or hotdogs or something.........Goodluck to all you Buckeyes in your quest for the New State record Flathead. We'll be after the Kentucky record this year.:smile2:

15. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I'm sure fish large enough to beat the current record have been caught over the years. Bad thing is in the areas that they were probably caught they became dinner before they made it to the scales.

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I am not familiar with the location of the lake where the record flathead was caught in '76, what part of Ohio are we talking about?

I fish primarily in Caesar's Creek Lake in SW Ohio, and the Flatheads being caught here are getting considerably bigger year by year. And I must say, I liked Gary's point about certifying a record flathead. They take so long to grow to that size, and if you love catfish, you wouldn't want to risk killing the poor old guy, and I do love catfish :)

I don't know what certifying a record involves, but if anyone would like to fill me in with some info, I'd really appreciate it!

I am itching to get back out there guys, I'm due for a 30 pounder or more this season!

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I would ever catch a record flathead I doubt if I would go to the lengths necessary to have it certified..Especially if it ment the fish would have to die.

I would just release him and hope you guys would believe me when I told the story1:wink:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only way i would go through the lengths is if they were able to certify it right there on the water without having to transport the fish even from the spot to the ramp. They more less would have to come to the honey hole lol..it will be broken, its a matter of time. there were a couple hooked last year that i would like to see that got off! my buddy had a hold of one of them...:eek:oooh: rollo

19. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO

MAKES GOOD SENSE TO ME.

ELWOOD

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.