Ohio's 2 rod limit?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by crazy cathunter, Mar 28, 2008.

1. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have to say that i never really understood this rule of not being able to use more than two rods at a time. I myself can handle three just fine, and never saw the logic in the limit of just two? As a dedicated cat fisher, i just cannot see the reason for this. I am looking for some reasoning behind this law and your take on this....Rich..........THERE IS BAIT AND THEN THERE IS CATTIN!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't like it nor understand it but its the law...:wink::big_smile:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  4. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i find two rods to be more than enough, if you could use more there is people who are going to use more than they could manage, i get alot of doubles on two rods, i cant imagine using more. it just seems unnesasary to me, i like the rule..

5. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I'M GLAD THEY DON'T HAVE THAT LAW DOWN HERE.PROBABLY SOME PETA INFLUENCE THINKING LESS RODS MEAN LESS FISH GETTING HURT.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well two may be fine for you larry, but its not for me. If they would change there other laws pertaining to jugging and trotlining I would probably agree. I understand by law I can do the same, but... I don't understand how they can run theirs and not have to tend them like a rod and reel guy obviously has to. And in the last 17 or 18 years I have seen the effects of the liners! alot more than what the rod and reel guy has caused. I guess as long as you are getting doubles every night out, you probably are busy enough not to worry about using more poles.:wink: rollo

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It is no the fish that cause the DNR to do this, it is the lack of public access. So you have a sand bar along ariver or a nice point on the lake and some yahoo strings up a dozen rods aalong 200 yards of the only access around so no one else can fish there, get the idea?? I have been in many meetings with DNR officials where there was some talk about offering more to boat anglers ( think Erie) where the sportfishing /charter captains were pushing for this so there folks could limit earlier and they ( captains) could get out for a 2nd trip in one day to make more money.

As far as folks saying, why doesnt Ohio put/offer a 3rd rod stamp to increase revenue? Apparently the state does not think it would make enough money to cover printing and setting up the system to accomodate that as well as how negative folks get when it comes to paying more to fish, its like adding a fishing tax really and stuff like that never happens on election years within the states infrastructure.

I hope this helps...
    BTW, Im all for it since I do a lot of boat fishing

Salmonid

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can put out fifty bank lines and take up more room than a guy with a dozen poles! lol I think I will utilize the bank line more this year, for bait that is. That is what I want a third pole for any way. I can hear the Game warden now " Hey you say's he; I'm going to write you up for using two poles and a hand line! " Oh no your not! say's I. That line is attach to a stake in the bank with my name and address on it! say's I. Arr I can have fifty of em. lol :crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i could go for a third.:wink: its just the people who get way out of hand, you cant mange 5 rods in the dark fishing for big cats, maybe from a boat but not from shore, just my opinion:roll_eyes:

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe, just maybe, they want to cut the sport fishermen off so the commercial fishermen can catch more. LOL

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    This is a correspondence that I have had recently with the Ohio DNR. I would love for someone to pick up and carry the ball for me and ask them how many signatures it would take for the Great State of Ohio to consider the wishes of it's constituents. I would be happy to help word a petition to circulate around the state.

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Larry, I am a very coordinated person and believe I could handle 5 or even more rods from a boat or on shore.
    If you are getting multiple runs for fish over 30 lbs, I want to know your spots! As a matter of fact, what is your license plate number, and I'll send out the super sleuth s-man to search you out. If you see him, you'll know why he is there.... but for goodness sake man, be careful, he's been known to go Postal!

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with everyone either, way i look you pay for bait, license, etx then you should choose how many poles you want to take with ya at atime

14. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Jack now you can give them a 52 line salute!!!!!Or is that a 52 gun salute?????

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shawn, I tried to help. LOL Here is the e-mail..

Scott, I read your response to Shawn Dotsie's email about the possibility or raising the rod limit in Ohio above two rods.

I am a resident of Oklahoma, and possibly should keep my nose out of Ohio's business. However, I felt it appropriate to mention a fact about our states regulagions in this area. In Oklahoma, each legal angler is allowed seven (7) rods and reels, and 100 hooks on a trotline, and 100 hooks on juglines, and 50 hooks on limb lines. Very, very few fishermen in Oklahoma use 7 poles, probably the majority use three rods nd reels and a combination of jug lines and trotlines. It's not because we have a greater catfish population than Ohio, but because our state leadership feels the fishery in Oklahoma can support this limit. My personal thought is your state should investigate the limits on tackle within other states and strive for a happy medium. That's my two cents worth, and thanks for reading it.

Guess I should have really torqued him off and told him about the noodling. LOL

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would really like one more rod added, but if it further limits our bank space then i am fine with the 2 rule. i bank fish more than i boat fish but see no reason why boat fishermen cant use 3 rods.

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here in Kansas you are allowed 2 rods unless you buy a 3 pole permit. I think that is fair. I have fished in Oklahoma for most of my life and have never used more than three and I cant recall seeing anyone using more than that. Can you imagine 50 people fishing below a dam with 7 rods apiece? I dont want to. In a boat I can see using more but I will stick with 2 or 3 so I can keep a real good eye on em.:0a14:

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    on a good night or day more than three is enough for me

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I could easily manage 4 poles in several spots I bank fish. You guys know that with circle hooks you don't have to be right on top of the pole to catch the fish.

20. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    An interesting point. I don't fish along dams and could not handle more than one or two in fast water. However in an empty area with a long run on a lake I could handle 10-20 with a clicker. That said it would take me 3 days to collect enough live bait for a night with 20 rods lol!