Ohio weather change flathead catfish pattern HELP!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loanwizard, Oct 4, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    OK guys, I have fished harder than I ever have this year. I haven't gotten any big ones this year but I am hopeful. I feel fairly confident in the pre spawn patterns but this fall thing has me stymied.

In the last month I have had days with some luck and several trips completely skunked. I am used to 1-2 fish per trip even if they are channels, but am not used to being thoroughly whupped as in no bites period.

The conditions are water level very low, temps have dropped from the upper 80's to the upper 60's, in 30 days. Contour is normal width 10-200 yards, average depth of channel 4-6 feet. Riffles (1-2 feet) hole, run, every mile. average hole depth 8-15 feet with 2 30 foot holes in my 20 mile section. Recently we found (with advise from a brother) fish in the 10-15 foot depth.
    I went out a few nights ago and fished a section with wood and many snags with no bites. Last night went out at 11:30 and fished til 7:30 am in a 13 foot run downstream from an 18 foot hole on an outside turn. We had 1 run that lasted all of 1 1/2 seconds at 1 am and a small takedown at 4:15.

Question. How do flatheads transition for fall/winter?
    Do I need a cold snap to turn these fish on? If so, should I be chasing them in summer spots?
    Should we downsize bait size, or start using more cut? What can we look for to give us a better chance to connect with the fish?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn (Ohio)

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    That seems to be the question this will be my first year targeting them in the colder water. im wondering where they hudle and what depth they will go to and at what water temp they move to the winter holes. Ive caught them in the spawning holes and when you hit one of them you will have fish constantly on the pole one after another.so if you get some good info send it my way and me the other if I get some. if not I will find out shortly because I plan to keep fishin and changing techniques if needed shallow to deep, deep to shallow. Different structure, no structure, cut in banks, drop offs, what ever looks good. Even creeks.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Shawn,
    I do a lot of fishing on the banks of the Ohio R. on your side. I also fish a few private lakes over there. From personal experience and from buddy's telling me BIG baits are producing big fish for lots of people. Big Shiners are hot right now also.He also said Big Bluegills & just the heads and Big Shad heads are doing good now. I have always had my best luck in the Ohio using big live Bluegill and bluegill heads. I have also had some success on smaller(under 10lbs) flatties with cut skip jack. We've been fishing 3'-6' in lakes and mainly bottom in the river.
    I'm trying to get a date and get a few people to hit the Greenup L&D before long to stock up on skippies and shad. I started a thread in skip jack forum about it. Check it out and Best of Luck to you!!! :wink::big_smile:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When the water temps start to drop in the fall, the flatheads move to deeper holes. Look for them in at least 20 feet of water - or in the deepest holes in your stretch of river. Some sort of cover or current break is good (deep wood or rocks), but the depth is the thing right now.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    JAinSC has to be right because I will targer flatties in the summer sometimes in very shallow structure water right now I have been catching them very deep or very close to a deep hole with structure.

6. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    now I have been trying to figure out what is going on with the faltheads up here in nw Ohio as well, but our primary stretch of river for the most part is under 4 ft of water aside from the occassional hole here and there.
    I think this is a good question sorry I can't give any real awnsers.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    maybe its the time of day/night your fishin. in the fall i have better luck at peak water temp time. after dark the temps fall and i think it acts like a cold front kinda. anyhow i just do better in the afternoon time in fall to winter. of corse i can be wrong its just the excuse ive been using for years. lol

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    water temps! shawn, water temps...lol:wink:

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Fished close to Steubenville last night. Me and my step-son caught 7 flats, the biggest being 15# 11oz. All were caught on but bait, mostly skipjack. We were fishing in 10-15ft of water close to an inlet stream. All were caught between 7:30 and midnight except for the big one came at 9AM shortly before we left.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the flatheads I have caught in the last month, including a 40 and 31-lb flat have come in the daytime..Best around 5pm, fishing in a deep hole on the scioto river 30ft..Small pieces of cut shad have caught them all..I have caught very few flats at night this year.