Ohio Rver Talk

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Dreadnaught, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is the place for Ohio River Q&A's

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Fishing has been kinda slow on the ohio here in henderson for the last couple of days. Has anyone else had this problem elswhere? :confused:

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nope cant say i have.me and my bro(vernon parrish) have tore em up 85 fish in tourny's over the last 4 weekends close to 160 over all counting week days ,but you know what they say; some people are meant to fish ,some to hunt and the rest to explore the enternet lol just joking with ya dread but seriously we've tore em up

4. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    It has been slow here in the louisville area unless you have shad or skipjack (fresh not frozen) then it has been ok.

5. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY

6. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    been slow here too @ cloverport. as soon as i get my photos back ill post my 80lb er

7. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    The fishing here in envansville has been ultra slow. It's almost enough to make you not even want to waste your time. I just think it's too hot, maybe we need to fish deep where is it cooler for them.

Let me know if you come up with something.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I live over in Henderson,Ky and we haven't been doing all that bad. We have been catching a few in deeper holes on cut skipjack, but shallow water doesn't seem to produce much at all.
    Now that this rain has moved in they may start biting in the shallows at night.

9. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    on sat and sunday there was a catfish tournment held in Louisville, KY. The winning boat had 232+ lbs. The fish were caught at the hydro plant on the falls of the ohio. His bait was caught at the same location. I would post some pics however my battries went dead in the camra.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Is that the plant between greenwood boat docks and westpoint?
    Man ive caught some hogs there and had hooks break.
    Ive always fished with chicken liver and bluegill.
    How do you catch those skipjacks and shad, im not even sure i know what they look like.

11. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    No man it is part of the locks at the falls of the ohio. I have fished the spot with every bait you can think of, but if you do not have fresh live bait all you will get is carp.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I launched my boat yesterday at 7:00 p.m. yesterday evening at Madison, Indiana. I went down river to the local power plant discharge and caught a dozen and a half skipjacks and proceeded further down the river to one of my favorite holes. I hooked my six to eight inch skipjack whole and pitched them out. At dark I headed back to the dock having caught 2 twenty pound blue cats and a 43lb blue cat. What a night. Vern

13. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

I fish the madison area also. no shad to found, but plenty of skipjack. Everyone I know is also terring them up. I figured you would be fishing the mouth of the ky river in carrolton, VLPARRISH. I caught 30+pounder last spring. I cant afford to go up that far.gas is to high.

14. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    Launched from New Albany, IN. Went to the hydro plant at the fall of the Ohio located some bait. Had a fule line failure took 2 hrs to fix. Started to fish a dusk. caught 2 fish a 2lb channel and a 70lb blue. What a night. :0a23:

15. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Congrats. You got a pic of the 70lber? How long did it take you to get him in?

16. Mudmarlin

Mudmarlin New Member

State:
    Louisville, KY
    :sad: no pics the batteries in the camara were dead. lesson learned disposal camara to stay in boat for speical ocations when digital don't work.

17. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

I don't have a boat, so I have to fish from the bank of the river. I live in Northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. What is the right rig to use in your opinions? I'm curious as to what type and how heavy a sinker to sling. I use a Carolina rig typically with a 12-24" leader, usually a 7/0 Gamakatsu Octupus circle hook with cut bait or live. What do you think?

18. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

Big Vert, I think carolina is fine. I use flat bank sinkers(no roll). The weight depends on speed of current. Heavy sinker will also put distance on your cast.

19. chrisfaulk

chrisfaulk New Member

big vert i bank fish the ohio also but dont know any good spots can you recomend some? i fished both sides of anderson ferry with no luck(3 trips-1 carp!) i've been mainly fishing pay lakes trying to bust the jackpots but would like to hit the river sometime but need a good spot.

20. nasburr

nasburr New Member

hey derbycitycatman, where is this plant at? im somewhat familiar with the area. is the plant on the ky side? and is it closer to greenwood ramp or westpoint?