Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by prostreetS10, Oct 26, 2007.

1. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Gonna see what i can do to get my boat out this saturday on the ohio to fish for some blues. Never fished for them on the river. and really haven't done too much fishing on the boat. any tips would help alot . thanks

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    Tip 1 Be careful. Tip 2 Make sure boat has all safety equipment. Tip 3 If boat won't start first time, every time stay off river. Tip 4 Wear your life jacket.
    Tip 5 Stay out of the barges' way; they are much bigger than you.
    As for the fishing try holes, drop-offs and ledges. If no luck try a flat area. if you find rock or timber, fish it. Usual baits, shad, skips, bluegills, live or cut. Good luck...W

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks you got any tip on reading a depth finder. most people say look at the manual to see what the pictures are that they are showing you. but i bought the boat with the depth finder on it and no manual. so how do i tell what the structure is that im looking at other than just the bottom looking wavy. i guess thats how you would say it. lol thanks for any suggestions

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Go to the manufacturers website and look up your model. Most of them have down loadable manuals. Set it to "manual" and try to adjust it so you can see a good bottom trace. Don't try to see fish, use it to find holes and drop offs. Sonars take a while to learn so don't try to fish and learn at the same time...W

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks im headed out tomorrow night hopefully i can land me my first blue. do you recemend drifting or just stay posted and fish one spot for a while and how long would you say to stay and try at one spot before you move

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well i guess since in is past midnight its gonna be later tonight