Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by fisherman94580, Feb 11, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You guys that fish the Ohio River for big cats, what kind of rod do you guys use?

2. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are a few things to consider first...

1. Fishing from bank or boat?
    2. Fishing in dam areas or just anywhere you can?
    3. Spinning reel or baitcasting?
    4. What kind of handle do you like?
    5. Do you want a long handle or a short one?

Once you figure all of this out it will give you a good idea where to start. If you are going from a boat, then there is no need for a 9 to 12 foot rod.

Main thing is what you like and what you need are going to be… Hope this helps…

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Aaron, I fish the Ohio at least once a week and in fair weather 2 to 3 times a week. I am currently using 7 rod and reels. Six of them are shakespeare, three ugly stick catfish series MH 7 footers and three sturdy stick MH 6 foot 6 inch. I have had really good luck with the durability of all these rods, and with the price you won't find a more dependable rod for less money anywhere. If you like a softer tip for the subtle bites and channel cats, the uglies are the way to go. If you are fishing heavy cover for huge flatheads and blues, you might want to go with the sturdy sticks. All of my sturdy sticks have penns on them and two of three ugly sticks have spinning reels. Vern

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron I use Quantum Big Cat in a med/hvy and it does a good job. I would also agree on the Ugly Sticks,:0a26: :0a18:

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use berkely Ecats

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use Ugly Stik Tiger rods 2-med action and 2-m/h with 7000C3's and 50# big game.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    penn 209's on medium action 7 ft. ugly stik tiger rods.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    oh yeah and if i am fishing from the bank i use 2 12 foot xtra-heavy ugly stiks with penn 309's.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use 7-8 foot Ugly Stik's and Bass Pro Power Plus rods. I use them most in a Medium Heavy but also a Medium. I am a spinning reel guy and I have a variety of spinning reels. My favorites would be the Okuma Coronado and the Mitchell Free Runner. both really nice and will hold up to the biggest catfish that river can throw at me!

10. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have 20 ugly stiks been using them for years 2 12 ft xheavy ,1 12 ft heavy ,2 10 ft heavy that i use for bank fishing, 2 7ft mh ,2 7 ft m tiger rods that i use in the boat , 2 6 ft 6" mh ,2 7 ft ugly cat for channels,1 7 ft ,2 6 ft 6" for bass 2 5 ft 6" for bait and 2 ultra lites for fun have never had a problem or complaint with any of them i give em 2 thumbs up have had most of them for 8 years and they all get fished alot
    h.u.f.o.
    hook up
    fish on