Ohio River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by wolfman, Aug 15, 2005.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Has anyone been doing any good in the Hannibal and Pike Island pools?

2. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    went to burnsville lake over the weekend with my brother. can't get to the good spots without a boat. so we fished the upper pool below the dam. the guy at the marina said that 40 and 50 pounders are sometimes caught there. i caught a six pound channel on a dead bluegill... that was the only fish for the night. hope the ohio turns on soon!

3. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Tailwaters are the best place to catch Channels right now. Nice size cats are being caught on minnows and cut baits. Some average size flatheads are being caught but for the most part is slow.

4. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Channel cats are being caught on shad,chicken liver and cut baits below the dam. No reports on any flatheads being caught at this time.

5. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    i was fishing about 3/4's of a mile below the hannibal lock and dam last night and just after dark a friend of mine caught a 8 pounder, and 1/2 hour later lands an 18 pounder, both flatheads. we fished till midnight without another bite.

6. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Ive fished the locks in new martinsville, but i haven't done any good >? Do you fish off the concrete pier above or below the docks, and what bait do u usually have luck on>?

Ive seen guys use throw-nets to catch shad i do believe

7. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont catfish there much, but do try to catch skipjacks for bait when they are running . Most people are catching white bass and stripers by casting in the schools of shad.

8. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    walter, the skipjacks never hit or came in large numbers like last year. the guys are catching early in the morning and a few in the afternoon. they are using the bait rigs "sabiki" with gold hooks. i have tried several times with no luck!
    i fish both below and above the hannibal dam. the 18 pounder was caught on a large midsection of a skipjack. i was using live shad 3", that i caught off the round pier with a castnet. people catch both flatheads and channels all around the dam and hydro area.