Ohio River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by wolfman, Jul 12, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    WVDNR Completes Spring 2006 Ohio River Fish Stockings

The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources has completed the spring stocking of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, blue catfish, hybrid striped bass, and native walleye into the Ohio River , according to Bret Preston , Assistant Chief of the Wildlife Resources Section. These stockings are components of the DNR's Ohio River Fisheries Management Plan implemented in the spring of 2005. All fish were reared at the Apple Grove or Palestine state fish hatcheries and stocked during April, May and June.

A total of 96,090 largemouth bass fingerlings were stocked into the Racine , Belleville , and Willow Island pools. Smallmouth bass fingerlings (13,401), native walleye fingerlings (3,200), and hybrid striped bass fingerlings (15,834) were stocked into the Hannibal Pool. The Pike Island Pool received 3,300 native walleye fingerlings, as well as 15,920 hybrid striped bass fingerlings. Hybrid striped bass fingerlings were also stocked into the Willow Island Pool (15,107) and the R.C. Byrd Pool (4,126). In addition, 2,588 blue catfish advanced-sized fingerlings were stocked into the R.C. Byrd, Racine , and Belleville pools in April.

“Fish stocking is one task involved with the management of the multi-species Ohio River fisheries,” said Chris O'Bara, fisheries biologist. “A complimentary task currently ongoing is the enhancement of fish habitat.”
    Anglers interested in participating in habitat-enhancing activities can contact the Chris O'Bara at the DNR Parkersburg office at (304) 420-4550 to volunteer.

Additional stockings will be conducted in the summer and fall of 2006 for largemouth bass, blue catfish, and paddlefish. WVDNR fishery staff will continue to conduct tasks outlined in the Ohio River Fishery Management Plan to enhance a diversity of angling opportunities.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Darn, all upstream from me, Maybe I will get a good flood! LOL! Just kidding!

This interested me,

"Anglers interested in participating in habitat-enhancing activities can contact the Chris O'Bara at the DNR Parkersburg office at (304) 420-4550 to volunteer.

As I was watching the DOH cleaning up some slides from the recent rains, I was thinking how nice it would be to have a few of those larger boulders placed in the River.
    I am sure the Tow operators might fuss a bit, but I would think a few, here and there, close to the bank would be do-able.

That would be a real good habitat-enhancing activity.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I fished for the first time on the Ohio at New Martinsville, just below the locks. Caught 1-4#er and 1-5#er flatheads. Also caught a fish that looked and sounded just like a saltwater croaker. Guy on the boat said he thought it was a sheep head. Anyone know? Buddy caught a 8# flat and 2 gar. No big flats, but not bad night for first time.

No one will believe this, but I caught my flats on nightcrawlers and never got a bite on my bluegill. My buddy on the other hand caught is flat and gar on gills.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Matt, congrats on a fine evening of fishing. Ive seen a lot of nice flatheads takin from there and several in the 20 pound range.

5. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the croker fish is what we call drums here near huntington

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    ok, must of been what it was