Ohio River...

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by DuckNurse, Jul 9, 2006.

1. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Near Mounds or Olmstead, IL. Has anybody been fishing it? Any luck?

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have been wanting to fish Mounds but just have never made it down there. Looks shallow for the most part with sand bars but the channel is close to the ramp at Mounds. Have you fished there much?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In ref to Mounds: When they are loading barges with grain, this acts like a magnet for catfish. Blues and channelcat. You can sometime catch 200# or more per day. The problem with this area is the parking . The area is mostly shallow to about 10 feet in the grain filling areas. There are two areas in site of each other. It's best to use a magnet and attach to the barge being filled. and fish straight down. There are deeper areas in the main river both up and down stream. You need to watch for cables that have fallen from barges. This is a little long but maybe some part of it might be of help.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Mickey,good info. What about flatheads in the area? I have heard the grainery has produced a few. What do you think?

5. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I don't have any info. about flatheads in this area. I have several friends that fish this area alot and have never heard them refer to catching any flathead at this site. I have never caught any flats here either. Blues and channel for the most part.

6. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    So,how do get there.So,any BIG BOY DOWN THERE?

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Take I-57 south toward Cairo, Il. At exit 8 (mounds exit) go east to rte 37 then south to center of mounds . Turn east over tracks at first grainery to the top of the river bank then down to the water and ramp. There has been some 20# channels and 30-40 # blues caught here. During the grain shipping season. Lots of luck. Let me know if I can be of help.