Ohio River with Ohio and Kentucky licenses, who's laws do you have to follow?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If your in a boat on the Ohio which you can fish with an Ohio or Kentucky license and you have both who's laws do you have to follow? For example if I live in Ohio and I have a Kentucky and Ohio fishing license can I use more than two poles on the Ohio and claim it under my Kentucky license?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Not 100% sure but I'd say you could show them your KY license and be fine. I usually have a KY and OH license but have only been checked twice in my whole life. Both times were on the bank.
    I'd say someone else will chime in but I believe you can do it.

3. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    if you are in a boat and have both ohio and ky license you can fish under any of the two states laws.meaning for example ky has unlimited poles per person and ohio has two per person.you can fish with as many as you like.

if on the bank fishing you must follow that stats laws.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm guessing you would have to pick one state and follow all their laws. For example if there was a certain bait illegal in Kentucky and legal in Ohio, if I was using that bait I would asume I would have to use two poles and stick with the rest of the Ohio laws.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true. That part sucks...:smile2:
    You all can use trout, bass or anything for bait. Here we can't use any game fish as bait. We can use gills but they have to be caught with R&R. I guess its a good trade off, we can use unlimited poles.:smile2:
    What part of the Ohio you thinking about hitting? I live 2 miles from the river and love fishing it!:cool2:

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It's my understanding that they go by your state of residence to determine which laws you have follow on the river in the main channel. Also depends on where you are actually at in/on the river.

I have a couple of friends (who live in KY) that decided to fish a backwater area on the Ohio side of the river (still a part of the main river though) last year, and the Ohio DNR guy busted them for fishing with too many poles. He told them that the backwater was a part of the river system, but since they had passed into the area from the main channel, they were considered to be in OH and had to follow those regulations. If they hadn't left the main channel of the river, they'd have been fine.

It's a gray area that depends on what kind of mood the warden is in.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    With my Pennslyvania fishing licsense, I am also able to go across the Delaware River onto New Jersey and fish the banks there. Vice-versa!

I'm sure it's the same in Kentuckiana:cool2::wink:.

8. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    if i buy a ky license then i am entitled to any rights of that state regardless of where i am from or where my boat is regestered.
    if i only have an ohio lic and i am fishing on the ky bank i have to follow ky regs and vica versa if from ky on ohio banks.
    i live in ohio and fish the ohio all the time and have been checked several times by ohio , ky, and indiana and never had a problem.

here is an excerpt and it only applies to fishing from the bank

The following regulations are the only unified regulations in the agreement – for all other regulations, anglers must abide by those of the state by which they are licensed, except that Ohio anglers must abide by Kentucky laws when fishing from the Kentucky shoreline, and Kentucky anglers must abide by Ohio laws when fishing from the Ohio shoreline.

that simply means that if i have only an ohio license then ohio regs apply if i am on the water, but if i am on the ky shore then ky regs apply.
    for example ky allows spoonbil snagging and ohio doesnt. a person from ky cant come over and snag off ohio's shoreline legally.
    if i have only an ohio license then while fishing from a boat then i am only allowed 2 rods.
    why would someone want or benifit from buying a ky license if i was still limited to only ohio regs?

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is pasted directly from the Ohio regulations. If you are fishing from common waters... I.E. the main Ohio river channel you follow the regulations of the state you hold a license for. If you are within another states borders which is allowed only in a boat you follow that states laws. If you bank fish you can only fish in the main river.

I have questioned and researched this as I want to fish the Kentucky side of Meldahl dam. I may just wait until the free fishing days.

Western Unit (Kentucky/Ohio border only) – Lawrence County west of South Point, and Scioto, Adams, Brown, Clermont, and Hamilton counties. Ohio and Kentucky will honor the other state’s fishing licenses along their common borders on the mainstem and from the banks of the Ohio River, excluding embayments and tributaries. The following regulations are the only unified regulations in the agreement – for all other regulations, anglers must abide by those of the state by which they are licensed, except that Ohio anglers must abide by Kentucky laws when fishing from the Kentucky shoreline, and Kentucky anglers must abide by Ohio laws when fishing from the Ohio shoreline. ​
    SpeciesDaily Limit Minimum Size Largemouth, Smallmouth, & Spotted bass 6 (singly or in combination 12 inches (no minimum size for spotted bass) Walleye, Sauger, & Saugeye 10 (singly or in combination) NoneStriped, Hybrid Striped, White & Yellow Bass 30 (no more than 4 over 15 inches) NoneMuskellunge230 inches Black Crappie & White Crappie 30None

10. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cat-Crazed was fishing the KY side of meldahl and got checked by a ky dnr fella, he only had an OH license at the time and all was fine !! Guy said as long as your not up in the KY creeks your good !!!

11. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i wouldnt wait for the free days just to fish at meldahl,your ohio license covers you. two thirds of the people over there will be from ohio.

12. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    But you must follow Kentucky fishing regualtions if you are on their bank. SO that means I can bring all 8 of my poles.... :wink:

13. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may just buy a non resident Kentucky license... there are some great fishing opportunities in Kentucky as well.