Ohio river wintering holes

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    do you guys think mid november the cats will be in the wintering holes on the ohio river?

and where on the ohio side is the best bank spot for about mid november

and one more, lol

specifics about how to fish those bank areas

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its hard to say, it all depends on the weather which directly affects the water temps. Once the water temp gets into the low 60's and 50's, you can expect those fish to start to head towards those "wintering holes", atleast the flatheads.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Those spots I pm'd you before will work

4. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mapquested it and thats where i was planning to go on my first trip, thanks alot

5. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does the ohio hold big channels like it does blues and flatheads?

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Absolutley, not that I have caught any monster channels, biggest probably in the 10lb range, but there is no doubt in my mind that there are hundreds in there over 20lbs

7. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    id love to tie into a 20, ive already caught a 15 and had a bigger one on at indian lake, but im used to catching fish in the 5 pound range so i lost him due to equiptment failure. on the ohio i wont use anything under 20 pound test and no thin wire hooks. ive got 5 heavy duty baitcasters that should do the job

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some real good advice. Those river cats are going to be real active until the water hits about 55 degrees. Now is the time to get after them. Good luck

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man once tht water gets below 55 is when I start foaming at the mouth...lol:eek:oooh:....I never thought I would be loving the fact that the leaves are falling off the trees and the temps are dropping, winter time bluecats are without a doubt my favorite fishing bar none. Just the high numbers of fish you catch, and they are so easy to locate during the winter months. I cant wait. Your right though, right now is the time to be gettin after some nice flatheads for sure.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    LOL My mouths watering thinking about it starting to get cold. I used to only fish summer and fall just cause no clue how good the fishing gets in the winter. I will be out on the water every chance i get can't wait.

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it should be fun this winter