Ohio River, When to use skipjack or Shad

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jason berry, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im new to fishing the Ohio River but Im learning fast this will be my first spring fishing it. I just started using skipjack last summer and have been killing the catfish with them. I just have a question for all that fish the Ohio River do you use skipjack all year or do you use shad at a certain time of the year. Normally I will only go out with one or the other. If you guys would could you tell me what kind of baits you use at certain times of the year I would appreciate it.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use which ever I can get, but prefer skipjack. I don't have any special times to use one or the other.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i try to get all 3 skips, shad and bluegill.... in the heavy cover i really like the gills or live shad as second choice if im fishing for blues i am using skipjack and shad both if possible.. sometimes one catches fish and the other wont!!!

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I love using bluegill for flats or carp its just very time consuming sometimes finding them.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    an hour at the evansville state hospital with a sabaki rig will get you a weeks worth of gills for bait!! just a little tip.... :big_smile:

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Both are great baits. There is no season for which is better. Bottom line is, fresh is always best...

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like Bluegill best for year around. My second would be skippies and then shad. Those are the 3 main baits I use in the Ohio year around.
    The Gills and the Gill heads produce real well for Flatties in the Summer and year round for me.