Ohio River VHF Radio

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by beetle, Aug 5, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just wondering if any of you guys have a channel you BS on while out fishing to see who out and if anyone's catching anything.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good question Beetle, I was thinking of picking up a radio myself and wondered the same thing.

Anyone?? anyone??
    Salmonid

3. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYONE ELSE FROM BOC NEAR ME AND ON THE RIVER TO TALK TO ?
    BUT I ALSO WAS THINKING ABOUT A RADIO.
    WOULD BE NICE FOR BS AND OTHER THINGS.
    MOOSE

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got one last week and installed it just for safety reasons because my cell phone does not always have a signal. If my boat every broke down or something its nice to have a backup plan.LOL I went fishing last year up on lake mich with a friend of mine and him and several others kept theirs on a channel when fishing and I thought that was neat. We were trolling and it was nice to hear what depth, lure color and where everyone was fishing and who was catching what. The radio I got is supposed to have a 20 nautical mile range. I have always seen people out fishing at night and wondered if they were from the BOC or not but I would never roll up next to them and interfere with their fishing just to ask.

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Where i am in the Pike Island Dam area I have marine channels in my scanner and hear no talk of fishing. Mostly barge traffic. Would still be nice to have a radio on board to monitor the barge traffic or for locking through the dams...

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got one, and i have talked to barges and stuff, but im not sure if there is channel just to fool around on or anything. I think most of the channels are designated for certain things,i will have to look at my book.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my book it looks like channels 68,69,71,72 and 78 are noncommercial ship to ship. Channels 61,63,64,75,76 are open channels. The rest of the channels are designated for others. I guess all we can do is pick a channel and if someone don't like it they can always tell us to get off it LOL!:smile2: Its not like we would have 200 boats all on the river at the same time in the same area either. (at least I hope not, fishing would suck!LOL)

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is an interesting idea. Thanks for the post

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this sounds like a GREAT idea!

it would definitely make communication at tournaments alot easier and it would definitely make tournaments a little more interesting

10. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    i have one but its mostly for safety reasons while my sons and I are out fishing. You would get a lot more miles out of them if it was more open water around you but with the high hills and winding rivers I'm lucky to get a 6-8 mile range out of mine. I dont know any tournaments where guys talk and tell each other what's going on until after the tournament is over. That would be the fastest way to have guys stack up next to you while your fishing. You can always leave it on scan and listen to people talk but I would much rather be fishing then listening.