Ohio River Trophy Hunters: Part 1

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Dreadnaught, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have been chasing these cats in the Ohio for years and they have seemed to elude me. I am getting closer to my goal. After catching that 63.5lb flathead 25yrs ago, I have been on a quest to better that weight ever since!!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good luck on your quest JW. Keep after them, your days coming.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The Ohio River has been beaten down by Commercial fishing but, not taken out. I know they are there. I have marked some HUGE arches on the graph but, have yet to get one to the boat, LOL!!!

I figured that there is a threads on the board for the Big Muddy and the Red River, so why not start one for the Mighty Ohio, LOL!!!

4. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    JW,
    i fish below markland dam in a boat last year and had one snap 50lb braided line like it was nothing. i heard to that a guy pulled one out 98ld last year from the same spot. i fish right up next to the dam and the fourth gate from the left in about 60' of water. vertcal fishing. good luck.:0a23:

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I personally think the Ohio has state and world record fish swimming in it.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I always wanted to fish at markland dam but, haven't made as of yet. I will have the head up that way someday soon.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    well, I will have to say that the Ohio river has produced both PB blue and flathead cats for me. The 37lb blue came from the Henderson,Ky area earlier this year and caught my PB flathead near Bellaire,Oh. back in 2003.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I agree Matt, there are some monsters down there. We need to get one of those bad puppies in the boat.

PS. I heard you have a speacial anchor now:wink:!!!

9. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I think they are some monsters to be had also, but have not got any myself yet

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is one of the reasons why I started this thread so we could all get our collective minds together to find out how to and, when to, go after them.
    Best times
    Best baits
    Best tactics
    ect.
    Other reasons: A place where all of us that fish the Ohio River will have a place to disscuss things that pretain to Ohio River fishing! Or just anything that us Ohio River fishermen have on our minds, LOL!!!

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey j.w. just come on down and i'll show ya how to catch them big boys! if ya want the big ones, better be fishin below cannelton. the ind. and ky. state record blue hails from these waters(104 pounds). my pb 52 pound blue was caught there a couple years ago. last year my biggest was 43. i've had hold of several that i could barely pull up off bottom. there in there. bad time to catch em now though. just isnt enough water.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Keith, Long time no see buddy. How have things been on your side of Ky.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Any reports on shad and skipjacks?

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You need to come up this way for flatties!!! I've marked several areas on google earth that should hold trophy class flatheads,,,just need a boat. Several close to the Ashland boat ramp up-river a bit and where the Big Sandy runs in to it.
    Love to fish with you up here,I know we could find some flatheads but can't promise trophies!!! :wink:
    Plus I know the best bait for the flatties around this area!!! :wink:

This goes for anybody else with a boat that wants to try them out!!!

15. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    big sandy huh... ever fish around i believe 10 pole i think....

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure,I have fished off 23 close to louisa before you get to AEP on 23. Been 15+ years ago!!!

17. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    its up near where it dumps into the ohio near ashland..

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm familiar where it comes in but know nowhere to bank fish there. Would love to. If you ever get back up here,lets hit it!!! Or let me know some bank spots--google earth or something I could easily follow.
    Thanks and keep in touch!!!

19. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Really wanting to bank fish the Ohio here in Louisville but don't know where I can go at night. Pretty much the only time I get to go is at night so I just haven't tried. Most parks say they are closed after dusk so I don't want to get ran off by a cop. Plus more often than not I am alone and don't want to get into a bad situation. I have hear you can fish Mcalpline but I am not familiar with the area. Anyway hope to call myself an Ohio cat hunter soon.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Start a thread in Local KY Talk. There are several Brothers that live down and close to there. They should be able to help out some!!!
    Hope this helps!