Ohio river this weekend

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by dusky, Oct 30, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Fished the Ohio River, Cannelton-Newburgh, this weekend. Landed my personal best, a 38lb blue, off the end of an island with cut shad on a circle hook. Other than that we caught three cats, nothing real big, so fishing was tough. We were rained on all Friday day and night, but we sure as heck got a fire going that night nonetheless, which made it the best fire ever created. And I don't know how you Ohio River vets handle that current! My bro and I were anchored in front of a parked barge when a tree punched us into the logjam. We tried and tried to pull our anchor but couldn't, so we cut the rope. Luckily, we got out safe and found a trusty cinder block on the island we camped on to use as a makeshift anchor. I knew the water level rose, but I figured only maybe four feet. Well, it was a bit than that. We hadn't been back to the truck for three days, and when we made it back to the launch, a search and rescue team was about to deploy in search of US! What a trip. Apparently the locals called since our vehicle had sat there all this time, and water had risen enough to threaten it. lol. I used the following site before I left on Friday, and it said that the level was going to be around the 16ft mark by sunday.
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lmk&gage=cnni3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1
    Hello! Does anyone know of a more accurate site online that predicts river levels?

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Gary, Congrats on your PB. In heavy current situations we often have to use our big motor to pull anchor. It can be tricky at times and if you are not accustomed to the proper amount of throttle it may be best to just cut the line and get a new anchor. Also that is the only river forecast site that I know of. Glad you guys had a fun and safe trip. Vern

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Way to go Dusky! Nice fish, Man! That thing is a pig! Gotta love those Blues.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    way to go on that personal best , gary

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I was out this weekend and the current was really bad. My anchor got stuck. How we get them out is slowly move forward. Have your buddy bring in slack and every 5-10 feet, tie off to cleat. keep doing this process slowly until you are upriver of the anchor and it clears. sometimes you gotta give it a little gas-obviously, keep your buddy away from it when doing this in case the rope would snap.

Also, I use a phone number to check the river. It is 513-651-0115. It is a recording and you will hear the guy say Level and then the level. This is out of Cincinnati and I doubt is accurate at all that far down, but if u are fishing above Markland Dam it is pretty accurate. It will at least let you know what is going to be coming your way in the next few days. At pool it is 29 feet.

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice fish.. its good to know they are still biting

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks guys. Even without the fish it's always a great trip. Lost anchors and all!

Hey Max, is that the number directly to the dam? That probably would be the way to go. I might actually have the number to the Cannelton Dam, if I return there.

8. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i was out sunday an the river was runing good for us to we were about 15 miles from nwbgh Ind.the river was up about 15 feet from were its runs most of the time were you from in Ind.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    it's from downtown cincy, i believe. that was what i was told when the guy gave it to me.