Ohio River/Tanner's Creek 11/16/08

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyCatGuy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Took the boat out today to Tanner's Creek near Lawrenceburg. It is a tributary of the Ohio. Got launched about 10AM or so and right off the bat, the motor (that I just bought) wouldnt fire ( I think I am going to give up on boat motors until I can buy a brand new one...lol)....so I trolled back further in the creek and started castnetting shad. Caught about 150 nice shad all together and layered them in ice to bring home to freeze for the winter. Anyway...fished a few places back in Tanners that I had previously caught fish, but they werent there today. Marked tons of fish, but they weren't hip to biting. Went out to the mouth of Tanners on the Ohio and anchored down there and had 3 nice takedowns, but only managed 1 channel cat about 5 lbs. Also caught about 20 white bass, but no big boys.
    The winds were unbelievable. Since I only had my trolling motor, I didnt dare venture out any further. As dissapointed as I was with the motor, it was still nice to get out. I forgot how much I missed the big river. here are the particulars:

Weather: Cloudy, snow flurries
    Air Temp: 34 at launch time
    Water temp: 51 back in the creek. 56 on the river.
    Areas fished: any type of structure I could find including humps, holes, and stumps.
    Water level: 26 foot and falling (I missed the bump by mere hours).

Here are a few pics:

A deer that watched me for about 45 minutes:
    http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/Scootercatfish/tannercreekdeer.jpg

My monster cat!! lol
    http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/Scootercatfish/channel111608.jpg

Until next time...peace y'all

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    glad to hear you had a nice day! wish it were more productive for ya!thanks for the post

3. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Scott
    Didn't realize that was you today till I read your post. I was the guy with the pontoon that was talking to you. I fish that area all the time and only live about 20 min away. If you want to hook up some time down there let me know.
    Steve

4. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Haha...what a small world. I was talking to your buddy about websites e was on, and he didnt mention this one...lol Im down for going anytime. I love wintertime fishing on the Ohio.

5. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My one buddy has ben a member on here for a long time but has forgotten his password. Just let me know when you want to go. If tanners is frozen I usually go on down to Rising sun and put in.
    Steve

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Scott, I think you won Indiana braggin' rights with that fish if you enter it lol

7. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    We all need to meet like that more often.:wink:

8. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Nice Looking fish any tips on fishing the big rivers? I fish the Ohio (Pike Island Pool) Thanks all in advanced! Tim

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good day fishing, congrats

10. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I wrote and article a while back about fishing big rivers. you can view it here: http://www.scottwiseman.net/fishingbigrivers.htm

Hope that this helps you out a bit.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice looking channel catfish rick

12. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I worked over today, But I will check this out! It looks good! Thanks, Tim