Ohio River - Stars Out of Alignment

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Nov 16, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    River's rising; found a deep hole; all we needed for a good afternoon chasing the elusive trophy fish. What could go wrong!! Small anchor gets stuck, barge coming from no where, had to loose the anchor. Retrieved to the IN side to get out of the way of THE BARGE, which ended up being a total of 5 barges keeping us out of new Honey Hole. OK, life is good, we will continue to fish off the bank of the IN side, still in 38 ft of water which is deeper than West POint. Then THE SHAD make an appearance. Get the cast net, yeah, got 5 nice ones. Throw it again and I see my favorite rod and reel up in the air over my head. Whoops, forgot to see if all was clear behing me before I threw the net. Rod and reel sink immediately. Glad I am on call this coming week-end, hope someone needs surgery after eating all of that turkey! :roll_eyes:
    Finally barges are gone. OMG, it is 4:00 and we are a million miles away from The Port of West Point, gotta go. Hope tomorrow turns out better. Today was not a total lost; saw 2 beautiful eagles soaring above us as we went down stream; also got to see the eagle's nest. I have been trying to learn to back up the trailer without jackknifing; when we got back to Salt, backed it up by myself on the first try...:tounge_out:. Sooo, not too bad of a day

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Never a dull moment out there Linda. Be careful...W

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    As strong as the current was, the pole is probably in The Gulf of Mexico by now. If anyone is fishing down stream from West Point and find a Berkley white rod, please let me know :roll_eyes: THanks

Linda

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Perfect chance to put the bite on Santa. LOL! Thanx for sharein the story.

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda, dont feel too bad ,because it has happened to the best of the them. ive lost poles, by laying them on the side of my boat and the wieght of the 6 oz sinker pull it right in,, kinda like a teeter totter effect, just inches out of reach before they sink, and they do sink quick, i have also thrown my cast net without attaching it to my hand, duhh, they also sink fast. ive thrown my anchor rope and my cell phone gets caught in rope and goes under too . apparently the ohio river demands material sacrafices from time to time, now linda, you know you have offically joined the ranks of a "true fisherman".yes you are no longer in training .concrats on your first sacrafice

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I was Cuda fishing from my boat off Miami when a hot rod in a racing boat ran over my lines about 50 feet from me. He must have been doing 70 MPH at least. Well, I had the reels both disengaged with the clickers on so the line started peeling off both rods. I grabbed the bait knife and cut the lines (Heh Heh 80 pound test) The hot rod went about 1/4 mile when his left engine froze up. Seems he had wound my line and 6 foot wire leader between the prop and motor shaft and melted the bearing. Yes, there is a fishing god !!!
    :crazy: :big_smile: :smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Linda I guess everyone that fishes has some good ones like yours.Just as you will remenber the giant fish you catch so will the mishaps linger on forever.I bought a very expensive rod and reel a few years back and went fishing with a friend who borrowed it. Mind you it was brand new never fished with yet.This guy by the way is a very respectable fisherman who was coaching me at the time on the ins and outs of big river fishing.Anyway i was baiting my baitcast reel up and heard the ungodly sound splash. ^**()&#@*() (thats beetle baily language for some very unpleasent words he spoke).My baitcast rod and reel was gone as he for got to hit the release button to let the line out and his casting motion sent it to the waterery grave where it lies till this day.I said thats okay as i used beetle baily language to myself.Things happen just be prepared the best you can and roll with the punches.lol lol.