Ohio river stage YIKES!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just saw on the news the river will be at and probably above flood stage 52ft in Cincinnati next week......WOW:eek:oooh:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah she is definantly coming up fast...I checked the website yesterday and it getting up there close to flood stage..With the rain they are saying that we are going to get it will most likely be above fld stage.You still bank fishng this weekend??

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If he is, he won't have as far to drive, LOL!!!

Just think of all the money the city will save on street cleaning:crazy:!!!

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am still planning on it Sunday just depends on the road conditions, it will take alot to keep me in though, Sunday is looking better than Saturday for sure. I am heading to Aberdeen Sunday most likely to fish the discharge.:roll_eyes:

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    To my Northern Friends
    You all can keep the water up there!!!:tounge_out:
    I live on the lower gauge in WEst Point and she is looking pretty ugly right now.
    Linda

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Matt, Tbull, do you guys have much luck this time of year when the water is high? How about spring and summer?

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    To be honest I have never been on the river when it is this high, if I get out tommorow I will let you know though s-man...

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tbull, fishing aberdeen at real high water from the bank is tough to do since youll have to cast through all the trees in front of you and the walk from the parking spot wont be nearly as long since the water may be covering the entire flat, slipping a canoe into the backwaters there may be the ticket though...:wink:

Salmonid

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mark, you talking about the first pull off or the second? we usually walk all the way around and fish off of the discharge at the second pull off. I have been trying to find out how high the water is there.

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I almost always fish the 1st pulloff at the mouth as I have never done very well at all up at the Tubes/boils. Im sure its waaaay too high but if you went today since the weather was a little bit chilly...let me know how you did, I dont think even I would give you a hard time if you skipped it on a day like today. :crazy:

Salmonid

11. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yous guys are crazy deticated lol

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well we decided not to late last night because we were stupid and believed the weather man!:angry: I thought the roads would be getting bad again, so we decided against, and sure enough when I get up and look outside, you could have laid a papertowel out on my street and it wouldnt even have gotten wet...Oh well, we are heading out this Saturday to hit it hard, I can't wait I feel like I haven't fished in a year.:confused2:

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mark, I usually fish the second pull of simply because the area in the first one is usually packed, especially when the skips are running through there. I have hooked into my biggest fish fishing right on top of the boils.

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tbull, what types of weights do you use when fishing right in the boils?? and are you doing it from on top of them or across from them? Everytime I go the hybrid guys are always tightlining from the 2 good bank spots and I have seen folks fishing from on top but others have told me they get really upset and threaten to call the law if they see you over there on that side. Now that I have the boat, I plan to get it up in there some this winter for skippies/whites and gar with my fly rod.

Salmonid

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Salamond, I have never been bothered going on the other side before not once, nobodyhave ever said anything to me and we usually have a fire over there, there are no signs saying otherwise, you may be getting some bad info. Most people just dont go over there because its quite a hike to do so. I think I know the second spot you are talking about, there is one on a little point by the first boil, and another to the right of that correct? we always fish right on top of the boils on the otherside, simply because noone ever goes there. I usually use 6 oz of sinker there, and that still doesn't hold sometimes, but it usually does the trick. And I usually dont drop my bait right down in the boils either, just throw over top and let it sit right where the current from the 2 boils meet, I know that sounds confusing, and yes the white bass fisherman can be annoying sometimes, all the more reason to use the other side, and yes a boat is a big plus. If you try throwing right into the boils, you may need 10+ oz to keep her still, and probably more.:wink:

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    One more thing, if you fish the close side, its real difficult to keep your lines from heading downstream with the current, fishing on top of the boils kind of keeps your line going straight out, similar to how it would be on a boat. 2 guys fishing on the close side will almost guarantee that all of their rigs will end up sitting right next to each other when all is said and done, no matter where you cast.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the muskingum is about 16ft. here in dresden today.. i went to check out the situation for possibly planning a weekend trip...not looking good:smile2: rollo