Ohio River skipjack

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishbrett, May 1, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Skipjack Herring. i was wondering are there any of these in the Ohio River in my area. i here alot of people talking about them as great bait but i've never seen any.i live in the northeast section of Ohio around the Steubenville area right above the Pike Island locks. i caught what i think maybe a skipjack at Tappan lake in my castnet looked like a cross between a Gizzard shad and a Shiner? any certain way to catch them if there here? thanks

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to boc rick

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not sure if they are there or not, if they are, they can be taken on twirly tale grubs, or sabiki rigs. The sabiki rigs can get pricey, I usually just tie about 3 of the grubs in tandem about a ft apart, its alot cheaper and works great. Welcome to the BOC!:wink:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have caught them above and below Pike Island Dam. Below the dam, on the wall fishing the fast current and a white curly tail jig seems to works well. Just retrieve the jig at a fairly fast pace. I have also caught them the same way at the mouth of Harmon Creek across from Steubenville Marina. If you have a boat, the warm water discharge at the power plant is also a good place. Lots of skipjack feeding on the shad there.

5. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Thanks alot for the info. i have caught jumbo gizzard shad at the mouth of harmon creek.its a great place early in the year for them. thanks again:big_smile:

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Brett im not sure if there are any or not up in your are but I know I live close to the Ohio river on the Kentucky side and they have had some skippies that has been caught.

7. arv1

arv1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also really appreciate the info. My GF lives in that area and we have fished the river several times. I have yet to catch anything in the river, and would deeply appreciate any info you all could share. I have fished Tappan a lot, in fact Tappan is my favorite lake to fish.

8. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Well Brett I've also caught them at the Pike Island Dam several times and have used the smallest silver spoon I can find and vertical jig right next to the wall' think they were Kastmaster spoons. Not exactly sure about the spring mostly done that in the heat of the summer late June - August. thinkin bout tryin it off the wall at Steub. Marina this summer but also will be using a boat finally this year. Anyway some guys I talk to up here have been telling me to try the Sabiki Rigs for them so think I will this time around. Hope this helps

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    A 1/64th oz. or a 1/32nd oz. jigs for those Ohio Skips seems best to me.

:wink:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile:

Lots of great advice above.....:wink::big_smile: