Ohio river skipjack question

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Myk88, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I was wondering if skips might bite this weekend in the warm spell below a dam on the ohio. I might just try it. Anyone know if they might be catchable right now?

2. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I know they are catchable in wam water discharge's on the Ohio,one of my fishing partners got a bunch two days ago.Good Luck if ya go.

3. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've got a warm water discharge near me (power plant). How exactly do you catch them? Snag? Small baits? And if I do happen to catch some, can I keep them in the freezer 'till ice out? Vacuum seal them? Thanks for any info.

4. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I was just going to fish a couple leadhead jigs with curlytail grubs under a float for em.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Four of us hit one of the power plants today and caught excatlly ZERO Skippies! :confused2::angry:

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I think that the clarity of the water has a lot to do with it. We usually can't catch as many when the water is muddy.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Ugly Mike, I like to throw a heavy Sabiki rig with a 3/8 jig head w/ white curly tail grub on the end. Use a med bass outfit, cast into surface discharges and hot water discharges. The Skippies will be feeding on small shad if you can find them. Reps for the cool user name! Later Dave

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Made my own skipjack lures, I took some small treble hooks and used white skirts on one and black and and green skirts on the other, just tied them on to the treble hook like making your own flies. Used 3o lb test and drop looped them on about a foot apart followed by a small bell weight, worked great.

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Old skip might be hard to find on the ohio tell the water gets clearer. Hard to catch when muddy and cloudy. Most of the time if u see little shad jumpin then skip is near bye.