Ohio River Sauger

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catfishjohn, Dec 2, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Went to the Greenup L&D yesterday evening for some Sauger. Me, Katfish Ken, KYJake & Jeremy Sheffey caught several but only brought home 9 to eat. None were real big but brought home the biggest ones. These are sitting in the cooler on ice ready to be cleaned and eaten. Gonna be my first mess to eat.:wink::cool2: I can't wait!!!:big_smile:
    They were mostly hitting on 3/32oz jigs with Chartreuse(sp?) curly tails. Saw a lot caught with minnows.

Thanks Ken & Jake for the lesson & tackle!!!:wink::big_smile:

sauger 2rrr.jpg

2. festus

festus New Member

Good job, John and the rest of you guys. I caught a baby sauger, an 11 incher yesterday. Got one a couple weeks ago that was barely a keeper. Got 3 keepers this past March, biggest was 18". I haven't really intentionally fished for them this year, and have caught all by accident. Sure would like to get a mess of them, there's very little waste when you fillet them. Great eating. Thanks for the report.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun John. I made the four hour trip to Greenup a good many years ago. I couldn't talk any one into going with me, any way It didn't turn out very well at all! I wore rubber boots and I'll bet I fell down on the slippery rocks at least five times, lol I lost a good dozen jigs and never caught one fish! Never have made that trip again...If I ever get down that way maybe you fellas can show me the correct way. I did hit a squirrel on the way home so I got out and cleaned him, only to leave my knife and have to back track ten miles after I realized I had left it lying by the scene of the crime.....:embarassed::big_smile::smile2:

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have been fishing pretty often for saugers lately. I caught a limit yesterday with the biggest being a 20" 2-3 lber. I am using minnows and jigs, once the minnow falls off or is robbed you will not get a hit...gotta have something that smells like a fish on the hook! I have about 10-12 lbs of fillets in the freezer just waiting for a big fish fry...beer batter and frisch's tartar sauce...mmmmmmmmmmm:dribble:

Just a FYI you can use cut shad on your jig as bait..it works:wink:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Bill: I will give that a try. There were plenty of shad swimming around the waters edge that a person could have netted.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Those rocks sure are slick down there! I about fell several times yesterday. :eek:oooh:
    That was my first time targeting Sauger. I only caught 2 or 3 and lost a couple. I'd say with minnows you could easily get your limit.
    Come down this way sometime, can't guarantee fish but always have a good time.:smile2:

Bill,
    Thanks for the tip, gonna have to try that one next time out.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot to post that they were some GREAT eating!!!:dribble::wink:

sauger fried 002r.jpg

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least you got to eat something besides wild mammal lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice catch congrats

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    MMMM...Come on bro quit the teasing... LOL:smile2:

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    When the Ohio gets settled down a little I'm going to make a trip to Cannelton and try for some.:big_smile:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My old man catches saugers in the Ohio at Newburgh.

Nice report and pics CFJohn!:cool2: