Ohio River Rumor

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by rijkmus, Jun 12, 2009.

1. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Rumor has it the Fish Commision early this spring electro shocked a portion of the Ohio amd weighed a 64 pound flat head. Nothing on the commission web page as of yet. Is there any thing to this .

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There are plenty rumors about gigantic flatheads being caught, but no picture to prove proof positive!

2 main excuses include:
    1. "I didn't have a camera":smile2:
    2. "I didn't want to kill the fish to put my name in the record books":wink:

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i dont keep any fish but if i caught a new state record fish i would definatly kill it to get my name in the record book.:wink:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm sure you'll get alot of reps and new friend requests with that post:roll_eyes:

5. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    You dont have to kill it to get your name in the record book you can if you have one use some type of live well I just saw a post where one of the guys in PA uses a big plastic bag and would fill it with water and put it under his boat seat and then transport the fish to a weigh place and have it weighed and then return it to its original habitat you can also then take a picture and measurements and have it replicated by a taxidermist. Thats just my Theory on this subject

6. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    These fish are very hardy and would probably live to see another day if there was a little effort involved in keeping it alive. The fish defiantly doesnt have to die to make in the books and then if you kill it there is no chance to catch him again. You know what I mean?

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a friend who knows somebody, who knows somebody else, who has buddy that knows a guy that scuba dives at the dam and saw a Flathead the size of a Volkswagon! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

8. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    That is classic Fishing and Hunting stories. The are always stretched a little. I also caught an 8 pound channel and by the time my friend heard it was 20 pounds and 36" long

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why would someone be hatin if they killed a single fish to get their names in the record books. Last I heard, flathead catfish are not endangered nor going into extinction.

It's perfectly legal to kill one big flathead! No crime involved!

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:And I also have a friend that seen a gigantic flathead catfish with 2000 hooks in it's mouth. So so elusive!:wink::wink:

11. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    lmao!!!! hey you know him too,man wish i was there!!

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Nick, I'll be your friend, and reps for being honest.
    Listen, don't let these guys get you down. I would kill a record too. Do you realize what that really means? It means that if I were lucky enough to catch a record fish in my life time I would only be killing one fish! One fish out of millions. Keeping a record fish has nothing to do with the practice of CPR and fishery enhancement. As a matter of fact, the study of these monsters can and does give biologist valuable information so many more can attain that size and age. So practice CPR on fish you don't intent to eat and don't kill a fish for the record unless you are positively sure it is a new record by at least five pounds.:wink:

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    moose22dog - Your spending too much time fishing! Your starting to look like a Flathead in your avatar! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: I'm cracking myself up today! :roll_eyes: :smile2:

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whos hatin? I just know there are lots of folks here that will love that he'd kill a record size fish.... whats the problem?

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Bill, you have a son and let's say one day he reels in the next Indiana state record. If he kills that one fish, so be it! His name will be in the record books and he can go around braggin that he is the state record holder.

Some fisherman fish to eat.
    Some fisherman fish for enjoyment.
    But some fisherman like me are always looking to break records!

16. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey guys I dont think its wrong to catch and kill fish I keep trout all day long. I used to catch channels and keep everyone of the eater sized ones but I do like PA CATCHASERS theory about keeping it in water and then getting it weighed and then put it back. This is not a crime either so I guess it goes both ways.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    trout are/can be raised in a hatchery and released into public waters flatheads and blues are not.

18. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Exactly thats why I keep trout and I dont keep Flats I am not trying to get in a debate I just quoted what someone else quoted. I am personally agree with them. One fish is not that big of a deal but if the fish doesnt have to die than why kill it when you can still get the record especially if its a record explain this to me. PLZ Guys a little help here

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Be carefull Bill, you are about to go down the same path I did in the flathead thread, the path of destuction:wink::big_smile:

20. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Rumors like this fly all the time. The Army was doing dive training near me a few years ago and man alive the stories that flew after that....

"There's a catfish laying on the lip of the dam that's the size of an 8 man canoe"

"There's a musky near the bridge that is at least 7 feet long"

Now, odds are there are fish that big somewhere because let's face it, we're not going to see or catch every fish in a given body of water. However, most of these stories seem to start from a barstool biologist that "knows a guy, who knew a guy, that talked to a guy......"