Ohio River rig

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TheRiverRat, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    im going to the ohio river bank fishing this weekend and i wanted to see what yall think about the setup im using.
    7'6 hvy action catmaxx rod
    Abu garcia record RCN 60 HC ambassadeur (6 bb and 5:3:1 gr)
    25 lb Xccel
    3oz no roll with bead
    hvy duty ocean swivel
    12 in leader
    Mustad 9/0 Saltwater J hook
    .....RAT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    more pics .......RAT

Attached Files:

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    looks like your ready to go i use a 10 ft berkley glowstick abu 6500 30 lb big game a 10 in leader and hook well that depends usualy a 7\0 to a 10 \0 king kahle hook with live bait and a 3-4 oz sinker sounds good man hope you ding a nice one let me know

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Everything seems fine but I would not count on that no-roll before you head there. That may be fine you might need 3X that weight, just depends on what the river is doing at the time.

5. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    well according to the national weather service the river should be down by this week end.....RAT

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Add a bigger varity to your hook and sinker sizes. You never know, I use anywhere from 4/0 to 8/0 octopus hooks, and anywhere from 3 oz. to 5 oz. of lead here on the wabash. So get a few different sizes to experiment with. Other than that it looks like your set.

7. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i have alot of diff hooks, its hard to find a no roll more than 3 oz round here.........RAT

Attached Files:

8. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    sounds like you have everything you need I like a circle hook my self lot less missed fish good luck

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hopefully it will be fine. I fish with 1 oz weights in the Ohio a lot. I try to use the least weight I can for the situation. Current in the river is an odd thing it can change right in the middle of the day with no rain.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your rig is well thought out. Weight or hook may need to be adjusted some. The bait is important also. Skipjack should serve you well.

11. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i would use skip jack but i cant ever catch any on my sibiki rigs , i dont have a boat either ...tips?.........RAT

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    HAHAHAHAHA! I love your hook image "Bologna Sandwich".
    The only thing I would change out (if it were mine) is upgrade the line (been snagged off of the bank too many times) and sinker size.

I have some 5 oz no-rolls at my house. You'll more than likely pass my house on the way to Ohio, if you want a couple just swing by. I live on O. Colerain.

/ James

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    where did u get those 5 oz no rolls at?

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, the 3 oz flat banks I use are the lightest Ill ever use on the Ohio and only at base pool, ( 26-27 ft at the Cinci gauge) My normal is 5 oz and last weekend 8 barely held and I had some 12 oz Flat banks on a couple of my rods to keep a 3" square chunk of bait on the bottom.

My normal hook is a Gamakatsu 6/0 Octopus Circle. If Im throwing the "big" ( fist sized) baits, Ill upgrade to a 8/0.
    Last thing, if your bank fishing, best to have a spare spool of line as 2 snags way out in the river and you'll need a quick respool if you have to cut the line vs pulling it until it breaks, once your up to 25-30 lb test, sometimes you have to cut it before it will break,

Salmonid

15. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO

These are some tips to live by. Bank fishing the Ohio can be a pain in the rear. Be prepared to lose some gear in the rocks. Don't sweat it though; it happens to everyone.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Got the no-rolls at A to ztackle.com
    no spaces.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That reel you have is one of the best abu garcia reels made, I have two of the record rcn 60 high capacity reels.

Your rigging is well thought out.

If I was gonna fish the big river often, I would go with longer rods, and have a few heavier weights on hand, up to and over 8 ounces.

18. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have been catching them off the banks with my sabiki rig up at meldahl, they have only been about 5- 8 inches long but they work to , so bring your rig and give it a shot. good luck

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Where is this at?

20. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    He is talkin about the Meldhal Lock and Dam Near Neville Jimmy