Ohio River report Oct 9th ,08 SWIMMING !

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, It was a crazy night tonight ! The Flatties have been bitting the last two nights at exactly 7:30 pm , but tonight it was 8:30. As to the standard fall pattern that I see each year, they only bite for 20 minutes or so and then you could be waiting all night for it again. The thing is they bit all at once ! I mean if I could have 5 rods out at once , I bet I would get a hit on each rod at the same time. Tonight was the no exception. I caught a 22inch on one rod and while I was snaping a pic of him, I forgot one important thing ! To flip the reverse switch on my brand new rod and reel ! :eek:oooh:
    Now I bet you all can guess what happened next. You got it, I got to go for a nice swim in the good old Ohio river. :confused2: The good thing is that the water is so clear this year that I was able to see my brand new rod and reel swimming along in front of me. The problem was that it was moving to fast for me to grab it and as fast as I could go it stayed just enough in front of me that I was getting worried. Now I knew at this point that the water was getting deep and I was starting to move slower because I'm 40 ft out from shore at this point and the water is up to almost my chest. :embarassed: Then thanks to my trusty head lamp I saw the drop off about 8 feet ahead and my mind said well this is it ! Time to make a dive for it ! or that new rod and reel are gone and so is that fish !!
    SPLASH !!!
    I was able to get it by the very end of the rod !!:smile2:

The culprit was this 33inch Freight train of BAD attitude !!
    He even gave me a heck of a fight after I was able catch my rod by the grace of GOD !

Well, what can I say I wanted to stay longer tonight but I was all wet !!
    I have caught 14 flatheads in the last 3 days and they have all been on cut bait and right after the sun drops. Their on the prowl guys so get out there this weekend and enjoy !

Oh and for goodness sake remember to throw that switch if your not right next to your rod for even a few seconds ! :smile2: As you can see in the picture if you don't you could end up just like I did ,, WET !

Matt AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    WOW! now thats dedication at the highest level. Glad you got your rod and the fish back. I would be jumping in after it to, that stuff is way to expensive...Nice job:wink:

3. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    wow, what a night so what kind of rod n reel did u go swimming for ?

4. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    BEEN THERE DONE THAT. THING IS I'M SO STUPID I'VE DONE IT A BUNCH OF TIMES, AND NOT ALWAYS WITH RESULTS THAT GOOD. NICE FISH BY THE WAY.

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    wow!!! good save, been there done that, one thing ive learned, is to bring extra clothing, you never know, the thing i have going for me lately, or sould i say not going for me, is that i got this problem with running outa gas..:sad2: 3 times this year:crazy:

6. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nothing really expensive, Cabelas just had this sale on their Cabelas KING KAT RODS and KING KAT II reels. I got a nice Heavy 8' rod and the reel is freakin huge. I have only had it for a couple of days. Still, times are tuff right now and I really didn't have the money to spend on a new rod and reel, but I broke down and got it. I would have been bummed to have lost it.

Matt AKA DESODE

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, what a story and what a night!! Glad you got both, the rod and reel plus the fish! Everytime i've had to do that i never seem to get the culprit that did that to me. :confused2: Anyways congrats on the flatties you caught! Well deserved!

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Man thats a bad experiance had it happen to me one time other than my reel decided to jam up somehow. I went out after it and couldn't find it, luckily Tbull was with me fishing and able to snag it and get my rod and reel back. Glad you god yours back and caught the fish thats a night to remember.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good trip, thanks for sharing with us.

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Just admit it Matt,you wanted to go for a dip. Just kidding man:). From the looks of it he was worth a dip! (and so are that new rod 'n reel). Congrats on the catch and on the save!