Ohio River Report Oct 6th, 2008

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I haven't been able to make it out much over the last month due to work, but I made it out tonight and hit one of my fall spots.

To start off, the place was swarming with small strippers ! I mean it was insane ! :crazy: This was a good thing because I was limited on bait and so bait was no problem after 15min of worm fishing. I caught 17 little strippers in that time and they were all around 8 to 10 inch. You gotta give them little stripes their props though cause they hit like a brick !

I probably could of caught them all night long and it would have been a good time on ultralight gear. Thats not what I was there for though. I was itching for some FREIGHT TRAIN FUN !
    I knew with all these little stripes all over the place that was what was on the Freight Train menu ,,, So ,,
    I cut up a stripper and put a head on one rod and then a whole 8 incher live and kicking on the other. The CATs weren't on the run tonight and after 2hrs of getting one hit wonders and then nothin, I had consumed a 6 pack and was as ready as a Drag racer for the next one hit wonder to come my way. :confused2: I picked up both rods, one in each hand and within 20 mins had a BAM on the stripper head and caught a nice 23 inch Channel. I had just got him off the hook and snapped a pic when my other rod went into the water ! I know I should have thrown the switch !
    I was able to grab it before it got to the drop off , and I had a bruising 15 minute fight with only God knows what, because it somehow got off , but whatever it was did some Blistering runs !

I rebaited that rod with another live stripper and back out they went.
    A half hour later, I landed a nice 11.4 pd Flattie who was really mellow till he got about ten feet from shore and then figured that joining me for a beer wasn't a good idea ! Ha ha ha ! Well I didn't give him a beer but he got a belly full of striped prime rib :roll_eyes:.
    Things slowed to a crawl till around midnight when the barometer started going up and down on the old meter and sure enough I had some more action. I landed a 5 pd Flattie on cut stripper and then one that had a really bad attitude !

He was only 7 pds but Lord he did not want to have nothing to do with me !
    He gave me 3 times the fight of that 11.4 and I could not believe the spit and grit he had. I was so impressed I gave him a little piece of cut bait to chew on for the swim home ! I put it in his mouth before I put him down in the water and man I wish I had this on video. He started to swim out and the chunk came out of his mouth and he freaking TURNED around and sucked it up and then took off like a bat out of hell and gave me a splash right in my face ! :crazy: I couldn't believe it and my buddy who was my DD for the ride home saw it and we just about laughed till we fell in the water !

I know one thing , I hope that Flattie crosses my path again when he is grown up some because that little freight train had some real attitude ! :cool2:
    Thanks for readin, Matt, AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Good report Matt. Sounds like you had fun...W

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the report and the pics, atleast you got some fish that is all that counts...:big_smile:

4. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe thats a flatheads way of thanking you for the cut bait you gave him, gettin you al wet and everything hahaha. Good report!!!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some fun fishing, congrats and good luck on future trips

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the ones you did catch and thanks for the report!

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    congrats, looks like you had a good outing, good luck next time

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Sounds like a great time Matt. Gotta love a fish with a 'tude! They're definitely the most fun! Congrats man.

9. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    any luck on the live bait?

10. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not much, I always start out with live bait and if I ain't getting any action then I bring it in and cut it up. The last few times I have gone out , the live bait hasn't been working for me and as soon as I cut it up and toss it out, I catch a fish in the next 10 minutes.
    I just got back from fishing tonight and it was the same thing. I had a shiner on one rod and a 8inch chub on the other. I had no action for 2 hrs and then I brought them in and cut up that chub and caught 4 flatties in the next hour. One 4pd and two twins at 21pds. What sucks is my camera battery died and I didn't get any pics this time :angry:
    One other thing is I have been getting all my hard runs on the cut head. The rest of the cut bait gets good bites and has been producing fish, but all my big hard hits and runs have been on the heads.

Hope this info helps, Matt AKA DESODE