Ohio River Report Nov 22nd - Channel Catfish and Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Nov 23, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Got out yesterday with Cincycat in the Cincinnati area, didnt tear them up but an ok day considering the windy conditions. Ended up with 5 cats in the boat, biggest 25lb blue and another 23lb blue,a nice 10lb channel, and one blue in the 12-15lb range that came from drifting, we only got to drift a couple minutes maybe before the wind made it impossible, wish the conditions were better I think we would have smoked them on the drift. Cincycat had 2 nice ones that ran him into snags. But oh well, it excites me to see the blues turning on with the water temp dropping, been waiting its been a long summer...Here are a few pics from some of the catches yesterday.

Attached Files:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    nice job T... i have to get my leaf spring fixed on my trailer this week so i can get back out there and catch a beast!! :wink:

3. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Nice fish! I'm so jealous....I had boat issues this morning and couldnt get out.:sad2: Did get it started, just not till 1:00pm. Sorry to get of the subject tbull, but just a word of advice to others. Get some of those "mickey mouse ears" for your outdrive and warm up your boat up before leaving the house(esp on a cold morning). My boat has never taking a crap on me before, had no reason to believe it would. But the fact I always warm it up before leaving saved me the drive down to the river today.
    Again nice fish guys, sucks bout the wind. I checked windcast yesterday and today, looked alright. Course never know with the mighty Ohio I guess....:eek:oooh:

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    nice work guys glad to see ya catch some.....thanks for the pics

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on a good day on the river!

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    hey travis nice fish rick

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice fish bro. they are deffinantly turnin on in the river. cant wait to get back out im going to the dam tomorrow or tuesday to hopefully get some skips. what was you guys catching em on.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Travis, thanks for the report and for sharing your pics with us. I am finally home and took a short drive down at the skipjack hole and it looks like they are in there pretty thick. I should have no problems bringing some to you guys for bait

9. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice lookin fish Travis !! This mornings rain should help out a ton ! I'm watchin the stages closely !! Congrats...Randy

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, I am gonna try and make a skip trip Sunday myself, we'll see though. WELCOME HOME SHANE!!

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

All fish were caught on fresh cut shad...burped and released...:wink:

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    do you really have to burp blues? or just when you catch them deep?:confused2:

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just when they are deep, we caught them in 62 ft of water, there bellies were hard as rocks when they came up to the boat. I found that if I just cradle them and rub there bellies with some pressure they will burp for ya, kind of like an infant....lol.....It would eat me up inside if I saw one of those things go belly up when I released him, better safe than sorry...:big_smile:

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    mrs whiskers puts me to sleep that way lol:smile2:

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey Travis did you guys catch all those fish drifting?? and what kinda set up did you have??

16. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Travis, nice job, me and Riverking fished Sunday, fished 4-5 deep holes including your spot( really everyones spot as of lately) and we each hooked up, I lost a nice fish after 2-3 minutes of tug of war, never saw him, and Matt took a 21 lb blue, only 2 good hits from 9:15 to 4:00, lots of nibblers, just woud peck it 1 time and then never come back. ( They must have been all eating on Sat cuz we marked a million fish in a few spots, just no hits)

Oh yeah, you find any skippies?? Im on a mission to start stocking up, but no one has been on them anywhere yet. My buddies were at Meldahl and Aberdeen both days this weekend and not a one was seen :sad2:

Salmonid

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No man haven't found the skippies yet, I need to stock up as well, but they are hitting shad just as hard right now so I am not real worried about it. They will show up eventually and everyone will be stocked up and happy...:smile2:.....Thats a bummer you guys couldnt hook up more, I found that I located more active fished towards the ledges of those deep holes, both bank and main channel sides of the holes..Thats why I like winter time blue cats, very rare for me to stick it out anywhere for very long, usually they will let you know real quick if the active fish are there or not, if not i move on and find them..Little different ball game in the summer though.:confused2:

18. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
  19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'll be on the river Friday with my Dad, I tell you what I think your right. I have a really good feeling about Friday..

20. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If the temps get to 40 on Sat, Ill most likely be there then. BTW, both our fish came on skippies, they wanted nothing to do with fresh shad and frozen shad gave us lots of nibblers??? Whats up with that??? we spent a bunch of time finding some fresh shad so that ticked us off.

Good luck Friday, Im sure youll catch all the active fish again and on Sat Ill take a skunking yet again.... :sad2:

Salmonid

Tbull...PM sent