Ohio River Report - Cinci

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Fished for about 3.5 hrs today with a buddy, got alate start when I pulled out of the driveway with boat and got about 5 miles down the road and the Check Engine light comes on and engine starts sputtering like a bad wire or bad fuel injector maybe, so I turn around, head back home and unhook boat to the back up vehicle, whih was out of gas, so that cost me about 45 minutes so we got a later start then I wanted.

Put in at the public landing and the concrete was not anywhere close to being seen so it was a bit tricky launching and even harder loading with 30-35 MPH gusts when we came back in around 2:30. Water was dingy but not muddy, still cold at 39 degrees, fished up and down but didnt go too far from the ramp since we were tight on time. Fished frozen shad and frozen skippies, had 6 rods out and fished 5,10,20,30,40 and even 61 ft of water in the current and never had a peck, fished under barges, in eddy,on the banks,along rocks, behind and in front of barge cells,bridges etc. Just couldnt find any today, never marked any fish either. Current was cranking pretty good but only had a problem anchoring in the fastest water. About noon, noticed a ton of junk showing up from the Licking and the LMR, tons of debris and the wind really started howlingso after dealing with that for a while we left. Not much of a report but better then nothing, it still felt good to be out, I might add that while the local radio said it was 58, i can assure you the wind was water temp, 39 and darn right cold....

heading out again on Sat, I think, depends how much truck cost to get fixed...:crazy:

Salmonid

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bummer dude, lil tip for ya though, as the weather warms up and the water temps I would start to look way up river again. Good luck Saturday:wink:

3. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Mark the yellow lines painted on the ramp mark were the concrete piers are if the water is high. Those things will tear a boat up if you hit them. Hope yopu do better on Saturday. Hope the winds are calmer.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, I know, keep the boat inbetween the yellow lines, I was more concerned with all the water coming over the concrete and side washing the boat. Really was harder loading then unloading but had to make sure I didnt just float the boat off the trailer without it starting, Id hate to see what the bottom of the Showboat barge looks like,:eek:oooh:

Kind of cool, as the only barge that went by was the Coast Guard cutter/ work barge that was replacing all the bouys, thats a big boat and about 25 guys on the deck surrounded by a crane and about 100 of the big reg and green bouys.

Just found out the truck wont get looked at until late next weekend ( not this weekend) so Im out for Sat unless I can bribe Mellon into taking his boat this time, I think he owes me.:roll_eyes:

Salmonid

5. Big Tim

Big Tim New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    I dont own a boat does anybody have any tips for riverbank fishing on the ohio river

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    talk to travis t bull he know the ohio river real well rick welcome to the boc

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest to bring a lot of tackle to give as offering to the mighty river god Snag!

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC...........Good bank spots will usually just depend on the river conditions, and obviously access period..For good numbers of blues and channels I would recommend Meldahl Dam on the Ky side, as the water warms up the Ohio side is good for Flatheads as well. And yes you can fish the Ky bank with an Ohio license. During fast current try to find some kind of spot that will allow you to hit the down stream side of structure, anything to break the current. Many of the best spots from the bank will be found below the city along rt 50. There are a few parks along the river that allow fishing. Good luck in 09:wink: