Ohio River Report 6/16 if anyone cares..lol

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Jun 16, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No pics because its either gas in the boat, or a new camera and gas won! Just a quick report, went out last night with ProstreetS10, we ended up with 12 fish, biggest being a 30lb blue, a 15lb channel cat, and a couple more blues in the teens. Rest of the fish were smaller flatheads and channels, one flathead may have broke 10lbs. We probably missed more fish than we caught. Had 4 fish break me off, actually it was not the fish, 8oz of lead and my line do not get along I guess, I have got to find some type of rubber sinker bumper, beads suck, cost me some good fish last night. Anyway though moral of the story is the fishing seems to be turning around again. The big Blue female had a gigantic belly on her, she didnt spray any eggs on us, so I am hoping she is full of shad and not eggs. She was pretty bruised up as most of the fish were. Action should be picking up here shorlty I imagine for the blues and channels. The Flatheads, atleast the big ones are still MIA..

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Netman just showed me the other night to tie a piece of rubber band (cheap) right above the knot so the sinker doesn't get ya.
    Soundslike a good night of fishin.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man the weird thing is that it isnt the knot, the line about 1/4inch above the knot is whats getting tore up.:angry:

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the post I hope there starting to come out. I've been having some issues with big sinkers & line breaking as well. Let us know if you solve the mystery & I'll do the same...Abu65

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a good night fishing. Thanks for the report Travis. Was the river still full of debris?

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I'd almost be willing to bet that you leave your sinkers on while you are travellin down the rods. That means lots of vibration of metal albeit that lead is a soft metal and mono. I have seen it wear my power pro but I use 100lb test so if it wears a little, with a properly set drag.... well I haven't lost one yet that way or I'd start changing them more often. :wink:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Debris was not to bad, still some floating timber, only problem we had is it looked like someone cut down a tree, branch by branch and tossed it in the river, because all of the sudden we had a huge branch full of fresh leaves coming through our lines every 10 minutes or so, we fished with those branches all night, we worked our way down river and they seemed to stick with us...lol Not bad at all though..

Loanwizard you hit the nail on the head, I do run the river with my rods in the upright holders. Never worried about it since I have stainless guides, but I guess something has to take the beating and the line does...but it also has alot to do with the lead, because I can re-tie a leader, reel in for a bait change and its already knicked up....I will figure something out.

8. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the catch, check out these sinker bumpers
    http://www.teamcatfish.com/store/index.php?cPath=35

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Travis sounds like you had a great night out. Glad to hear the bite has picked up so well.

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Way to go bro...now if you can have that luck in a tourney you'll be just fine :wink:

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Nice catch! To keep your line protected try this, get some coffee straws. Run a piece through your egg sinker. It usually takes a little force and the sinker will usually not slide once it's on there. If it does, tie a rubber band to each end of the straw so the sinker doesn't come off. then run this on your line like you would with just the sinker. It protects the line really well! Let me know how this works for you.

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been thinking of using small diameter surgical tubing between my sinker & knot it should work but I'll have to get back with you after some expiermenting.

13. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i pinch a round split shot right above the knot and i have'nt had a problem breaking off. but i only use up 4oz. weight though. might be worth a try. shane

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just switch over to sinker-slides, problem solved.