Ohio river report 1-6-09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Kat-addict, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    After all the super current and high water has eased up a bit from a few weeks ago we had a go at it today before it comes up again this thursday according to NOAA. The trash that was getting on our baits has disappeared and the top water debris has mostly come to an end as well. Current was just enough to keep the boat anchored and the fishin was descent. Started fishing around noon today and fished till bout 5 pm. Rainy and foggy pretty much all day long. Thank goodness for our new portable heater. The wet cold hands would have sent me home long before it did without it.

Attached are some of the fish pics we took today. First is a 22lb. blue
    [​IMG]

a 20lb. blue
    [​IMG]

a couple of channels caught at the same time
    [​IMG]

and one more just for Travis...lol
    [​IMG]

This trip helped make up for the trip we had a week ago when we caught a big fat zero while the current and river level was falling !! We had good action till about 3:30. Water was 40 degrees and all the fish were caught on frozen skips. We tried to find shad but struck out big time on that challenge ! We were fishing in the meldahl pool. This trip is almost guaranteed to worsen my cold that I already have...lol.

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    we had a blast!!! We may evan try to get out wednesday and thursday and then rest Friday sat. and sunday. LOL

3. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a good time, hope you have many more like that.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    congrats on a good day on the water!! Good luck in the future

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just Curious, Ive never fished the big River. What do you guys look for in a good spot? Do you fish sunken cover, debris or open water?

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    ......................................good job......................:smile2:

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I'm so jealous!!!! LOL
    Congrats guys, Thanks for the pics and info!

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    dude did you see what randy titled the last picture?? Freakin hillarious. He's a freakin commedian aint he.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nice fish guys. Glad to hear someone's catching some fish.

10. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    The only time we have caught fish in open water is in the tailwaters of the dam. It's hard for me to fish these because I get sick so easy. Debris ie...tree's logjambs and such would be a good bet but better yet would be current breaks or breaklines that may be holding or "guiding" fish that are active. These are the aggresive fish that are easier to catch. I say this stuff like I am some kind of pro.....lol....believe me I'm not by any stretch of the imagination, thats just my opinion or observation that we have learned. When I say we I mean myself and catcrazed . Hope this helps....Randy

11. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    We are professionals in our own little minds. LOL:tounge_out:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the trip guys! Looks like ya had some fun.....rollo

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Great report and thank's for the pics. I wish we had blue cats to chase up here in Columbus. It sure is a long winter around here.:sad2:

14. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great job fella's. Good start on a new year.

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My day will come my friend, dont you worry about me. If not you can find me at University Hospital on the 8th floor in the psych ward!:eek:oooh:

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Nice report Randy. Thanks for the pictures

17. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great fish guys , you seem to do pretty good, sure your not professionals. Professionals are the only people I know who fish as much as you guys..:smile2::smile2:

18. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    good job guys makes me want to get the boat out . the last time i did a winter fishin trip though ,i did'nt winterize the boat right of way and cracked a head.hope your next trip goes just as well.

19. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cdog, you bring up a good point. It has probably been posted on here numerous times but here is what we do each time were done fishing. Leave the boat on the steep part of the ramp when you pull out, lower the motor down to it's lowest point and allow all the water to drain that will . Run the bildge or pull the plug and get the water out of the boat. We start our motor for about 5-10 seconds to help puke out all the water we can . If we are using the bait tank we have a little pump and we use it to suck it as dry as possible as well.
    By doing this we seem to have little trouble with any freezing problems. Sometimes our motor will not pee for a few minutes but I believe thats because the water that is trapped in the pee tube is froze...not the motor

Hope this helps someone from having problems...Randy

20. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice job good video