Ohio River Report 05/24/07-05/25/07

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKing, May 25, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Me and BigCat72 hit the river last night for some good ole Ohio River Catfishing. We got to the river at about 10:30 pm. The bite was WAY off until about 5:00 am, then they really heated up. We ended up putting about 12 fish in the boat. The best fish of the night were a 19 lb blue, a 17 lb flathead, and a channel that weighed about 13 pounds. Im not sure why the fish werent hitting anything all night long, but once daylight started approaching,they really turned on. The river has been producing alot of fish the last 3 weeks. Here are some of the better fish that were caught during the trip.

Attached Files:

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    nice fish. how much did they weigh

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Trying to work it so I can get out on the mighty Ohio Sunday Morning. Mind to tell what they were hitting and where they were laying? Trees, holes, flats?

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The blue weighed 19, the flat weighed 17 and the channel weighed 13

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish, congrats on the catches.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

We caught all of our fish on chunked up shad, not heads, but the mid section. We caught most of the fish on rocky ledge drops in about 18 to 25 foot of water. Look for rocky bottom, thats were i have been catching all my fish so far this year.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thank ya Neighbor! I'll try to put that info to good use.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hope you get into them, post a report and let me know how you do.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats to you all on some great catches!!! I've had pretty good luck on the smaller flatties down here but only 1 channel(4-5lb) so far this year. Keep the reports coming! :big_smile:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey Matt, good job on the fish. Do you always go for the cut shad or do you toss out some live bait once in awhile? When I met up with dale a bunch of years back he said the flats hit the cut more than live baits.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I always have live bait on hand, usually shad and bluegills, but man they werent hit any thing live at all. But i have caught alot of Big cats on live bait, and I have caught alot of big cats on cut..Just have to figure out what they are in the mood for on that particular night.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Thats a good catch no matter what bait you were using.

13. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    what part of the river was u on we fishing the pool below the racince pool just right below the dam there and catch a lot of nice stripers and channels and so far only 1 blue cat that we have ever seen pulled out or weve cought on that part of the river

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations on the fish guys! Looks like you had some fun. Give me a call or a PM Bigcat72...I am still waiting to hit the oh river with you!

15. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    We just got back from a 3 night trip to the Racine Pool, and the majority of the fish came during the day on cut bluegill in rocky areas.That being said, the biggest fish of the trip, 26 pound flathead, came after dark, on a live bluegill, on a sandbar in front of a small run. That was really the only fish we got after dark and on live bait. So things really seem screwed up on the Ohio.

We had heard that the area is on track to being the 2nd driest month on record with only .08 inches of rain all month. The first driest being in 1936 during the dust bowl. This may have alot to do with it.

16. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Way to go Matt. I'm heading out this weekend. Hope to get a flattie or two.

17. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    A couple buddies of mine spent the weekend on the Ohio and landed 26 flatties. Dont have any other details..Theyre keeping location a secret.:wink:
    I do know all of them were in the evening....

18. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    My nephew and I have been hittin the river pretty hard and have been having moderate to good luck the past 4-5 trips. We have been using fresh shad heads and bodies. They seem to take either. We have also been trying to fish gravel area's. The water is down so far now that we have spent much time just looking around at different area's that we fish. We have had luck using floats and deadline. We havn't had a trip yet where we have been shut out,I suppose we're due..lol. Oh by the way,most of the fish we have been catching have been in 4' or less of water,this includes a 30+ lb.flathead ! Hope this info is usefull!