Ohio River Questions - Boating Safety Issues?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 13, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was going to post this in the "Ohio" section, but shoot the mighty "O" runs through OH, IN, KY, etc....

I have a Bass Tracker Pro Guide 14footer w/ Mercury 9.9. Are there any places on the Ohio River that I could SAFELY take this boat?

The picture below is a 2006 Tracker 14 footer, mine is the same boat, but the front seat sits higher. Mine is a 2001 model.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is it too small for any section of the Ohio?

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    heres the thing, i see guys in small boats all the time on the river. most of the time i think, man is that dude nuts!! i personally like to be in something 18 foot or bigger. smaller boats seem to be involved in more fatalities than bigger ones. now there are times of the year when the water is not too rough ,usually in the summer, that i would not mind being in a smaller boat. the one thing that scares me the most is wind. a fifteen mile an hour wind can put 3 foot whitecaps on the river in a hurry. we watched a guy one day hug the bank for about 2 miles in some of these swells and i didnt think he was gonna make it. your boat looks like a deep v from the pics. thats a big plus. cut the wakes better. i guess though it all boils down to just being safe .as for good spots, i don't really know what part of the river you are closests to. if you decide not to take the boat out, there are usually good bank fishing spots below most of the dams. i fish the bank all the time and have been doing pretty good.

4. bigcatkev

bigcatkev Member

State:
    indiana
    That boat is just fine. I would probably get a bigger boat if you were going to fish the ohio alot but as long as your safe and stay away from the barges you should be o.k. Some of the waves that the barges put off could swamp a big boat so be careful. I would also stay off the river if the level is high. If you dont fill safe or comfortable about it then DONT DO IT. Your life is to important to loose for a fish. Hope this help's. :)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've some some guys in coves & things & thought, well I could do that too. I would in no way take it out across the river. I was thinking it would work in some of the feeder creeks too. Does any one have info on feeder creeks anywhere on the Ohio that a boat this size would be good in?

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    H20, I think you would be fine. Like the other members mentioned, stay away from the high water, strong wind, and the barges. As far as current, it was pretty exstinct most of this summer on the Ohio. At least from Manchester to below Cincinnati. If you are worried, when you come down in these areas, give me a hollar. I will take my boat out with you till you get familiar with the river.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks man, thats a plan!

8. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    H20, as far as the area I am from, you can put it at White Oak Creek or Eagle Creek.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    H2O at the Ohio Gathering earlier this year one of the guys had a Lowes(sp) not sure of the size but it wasnt bigger than ft. He only had a 10hp on it and was able to go to the same places that the bigger motor boats were able to go. He had 3 good size guys on his boat and they caught the biggest fish 35lbs LOL. Looking at the pic of your boat you should be fine like bigcat and bad said stay away from the barges. By the way we were near Belpre for the Gathering at the Forked Run campgrounds.

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Watermelon, your boat will be fine on the Ohio, just watch what you are doing when the water is up and rolling. I see guys all the time in small river jons 14' and with 9hp motors. Just get on the river and try to find the fish. Be safe, Be smart and catch fish.

11. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    hey just to let you know me personally i would take the boat in any part of the ohio down here,now i wouldnt get around and dams but i would take it anywere else,be safe and be smart you'll be alright....

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow, guys you are making my night. I've been catting for abotu 4 years now & I now feel comfoartable to try the Ohio for some big flats & blues! Hopefully Flathunter will be able to go, I'd hate to catc them all w/out him.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, sounds to me like we are ready to hit the Ohio next spring!

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    ive had smaller boats then that on the Ohio.heck during the summer i use take my 10ft flat bottom jon with a 5 horse to get across the river to an island i use to fish,granted i never fished in it like you are talking about but it did good enough to get me where i needed to be so i could fish. just be carful and stay out of barge traffic ;) .good luck and be safe

15. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Something to remember is the native americans didn't have motors on their dugout canoes and for the most part, did just fine. The one thing to keep in mind is "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
    If I might add one thing that I think is just as important as barge traffic considerations is, Get a FORECAST before you go. If there's a 20% chance of a thunderstorm, fish a smaller river. I've been on the Miss. and the MO when big thunderstorms hit in the summer. I was never too worried since the boat was big enough and I've been driving a boat from the age of 4or5. But some people really panic. Just remember if things DO get too rough for comfort, tie up to the bank somewhere or just stay really close to it. The roughest water in a storm is always where the wind is least obstructed--i.e. the middle of the river. As far as during calm conditions go, just learn to read the water. For instance, 1. a sandbar will appear to have a very small "chop" to it when just under the surface of the water. 2. that litttle stick that you think ya might just run over, may have a fourty foot cottonwood trunk attatched to it. 3. If it makes the water move "around" it, then you should too--hint hint big rock or rocks. You may have already known all of the above, but thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else could use the info.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you Gary. I am no expert yet, but hope to soon be one!

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    H2O, I myself have a 14 ft v-bottom and fish the Ohio on a weekly basis in it. The only time that I have felt under equipped is in highwinds, highwater, and not always, but at times when other larger craft have made wake. The barges usually are not a problem unless they are travelling upstream, this tends to make more wake than when they are going downstream. Also I have been hit with as bad or worse wake by paddlewheels and large pleasure craft cruising close by and off plane. If you are in your boat by yourself it should be fine. I know I have been on the river with three adults and that is just to much weight for my boat, but one or two guys you should be fine. I do have a 15 horse on mine and would like to have a 25, that is what it's max rating is. Always remember to protect your transom, that is where you are the most vulnerable. I tend to anchor across current a lot with my transom pointed away from the barge lane and maybe a little down river. Before I bought this boat, I had a 12 ft v-hull with a15 hp, but I often felt under equipped and mostly fished feeder creeks. Good luck, Vern

18. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Brian, my old boat was a 16 footer, handled the river very well just had to be carefull when we were netting a fish that a wave didn't sneak up on us and roll the boat over, we were always on our guard, i enjoyed that 16 footer but my 20 is the cats meow, tons of room and your not stepping over stuff, you should be fine, this winter I invite you to spend time with me on my boat and you can see how some of the waves will roll over against the boat, all the traffic during the summer can get hectic but after the bars close all you have to deal with is fishermen and barges, and I know your wanting a trophy Bluecat, you lnow how to get in touch with me...........Doc

19. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I am headed out to the Ohio River in a little while. I am not taking the boat but I am going to try bank fishing at the hot water outlet above Aberdeen. It is cold but I am not working today and bored...lol

20. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Well, no bites from cats to report but I did land 5 white bass and 21 skipjacks. This was my first time catching skipjack. What a blast!!!