Ohio River Question

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ollie, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ollie

ollie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just curious what size/type boat most of you use on the Ohio river. Thanks, Ollie

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Mike The boat I have is a 16ft fiberglass with a 85 johnson but its an older boat then some times I dont feel comfortable with it.

3. sugarfoot47

sugarfoot47 New Member

State:
    ky
    Me and the husband have a 2003.
    20.5 ft. Astro bass boat with a 225 mariner eng..
    A real nice boat,but not really made for catfishing.

4. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I use a 17ft. Lund Explorer, a wide hulled aluminum v bottom with a 75hp. I feel comfortable in it, and I can cover water pretty fast. When the wind really picks up though, the waves can get pretty choppy, so I have drive slower and closer to the banks where they aren't so bad. In waves like that, you'd need a much much bigger boat, like a 25 ft cabin cruiser, to chop through undisturbed.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have a 14 foot Monark with a 25 hp Mercury tiller behind it. It'll run 35 mph with just me in there. I feel comfortable in it everywhere, just can't get close to the tailwaters of the dams with it. But I mainly fish above the dam 15 miles so thats not a big deal. I also don't take it out when the river is really up and flowing, I use my dads 21 foot Trophy when its like that, but overall i love that little boat and wouldn't want anything much bigger (i like being able to get way up the creeks to get bait).