ohio river question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by rcbbracing, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay we are going down to hit the ohio river....matt, skip, and will are pretty into the idea BUT its a three hours drive for me and ive got a few concerns....I was always told that fluctuating river levels would mess up the catfish feeding...is this true? The river is supposed to drop two feet by saturday when we are going but is still above the pool level....think this will be alright?Ive never been there and dont wanna waste the gas if i can help it....thanks!

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think T Bull and I are going out tomorrow night...when ya coming down and maybe we can let ya know how they are feeding. I am not an expert as I have just started fishing the river, and can't say much about the fluctuating levels effecting the bite. I suspect, however, that the blues should be or already are coming off the nest and should be biting, at least i am hoping. If you are that concerned about the water level dropping and not getting action, maybe the dam would produce if there is little or no current. Hope this helps, good luck.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This season (Spring-Early Summer), the river has really never had a chance to stabilize much. I see it in the winter alot, where the fishing will tend to heat up some when the river comes up, but thats because most of the time its at pool or close to it. In the last few months the river has constantly been up and down, and to be honest I have caught more fish on the drop for some strange reason. That being said, I dont think the river levels have a dang thing to do with the bite the past couple months. Up and down and repeat...lol

These fish have been on the nest for many weeks now, and I sure want to be on the river when they decided its time to put on the feed bag. If the water had been slow most of the spring, jumped up to 40ft, and was on its way down I would think twice about making the trip, but that hasn't been the case. My honest opinion, the fish are always active somewhere, regardless of what the river is doing now, or was doing in the past. I have noticed no difference in the bite this spring as it pertains to river levels, if anything I have done slightly better on the drop. Good luck and hope you smoke'em if you make the trip. If Skip comes feed him beer so he will talk..:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bottom line, don't base your decision on this trip on a dropping river, don't make a bit of difference right now anyway, I dont care what anyone says..:wink::cool2:

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ditto what Travis said, this spring we caught plenty of fish on the drop. Now that is getting very hot durring the day, I woud definately suggest the early am or late PM trip and stay away durring the middle of the day , the high sun is brutal out there and the pleasure boaters run amuck.....
    Good luck if you go, I am planning on a late sat night trip myself.

Salmonid

5. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    The later pm/early am hours have been producing for us all along the banks of the Ohio river. In the past month or so we have caught blues, flats, and channels. The biggest fish have been hovering around 10lbs. Keep in mind this is not explosive fishing. One must be patient but the bite is still happening. The greatest annoyance has been the gars feeding at night. They have been the worst bait steelers for us. We have actually caught a few big ones recently (by accident of course). What a menacing fish to drag out of the dark, murky Ohio river at 3 am. If all else fails the striped base will hit on anything that resembles a toned down catfish rig. Don't ever underestimate the fight of a stripe bass. Good luck to all of you.

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Thaxs yall for ur oppions it has made me want to go even more now mabey we can get dave into a flathead if he decides to make the trip with us ....sniper

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ANOTHER ? for yall were fishing from the bank and are talking stubenville marina area or pike island area where would you susgest for flatheads in eather area ? any info would help thax....(sniper)

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's never a waist of gas and time to go visit, and fish with friends. It's worth it even if you sit there and don't get a bite. It'd be great to hook a 60 pounder, but I bet you'll still have fun if you dont........

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SOMETHING ALONG TO GAURD AGAINST THE THINGS THAT PROWL IN THE NIGHT AROUND THE STEUBENVILLE MARINA. I THINK U MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE PIKE ISLAND DAM BEFORE I WOULD HIT STEUB, MARINA.

MOOSE

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wait wait wait whats wrong with stubenville marina?:confused2:

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where exactly are you guys fishing? You mind giving me a call and letting me know how it worked out? Or atleast let us know on here....thanks! 4196516144 GOOD LUCK GUYS!:smile2: