Ohio river problem

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kyjake, Jun 13, 2007.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Truth is, you really do not want to know what is in all of the Ohio River. Everyday, everywhere.

One example, back when I was surveying (for a soon to be built sewer line)we ran across an older housing development (50 or so houses) whose residents claimed the already had a sewer and had been paying fees since the beginning. Poking around we did find lines and traced them right to the river bank. Yep, no treatment, open pipe to the river. For 40+ years. Nasty!

Then we can talk about all the overloaded (and DEP overlooked) sewage treatment plants.

Then you have untold numbers of chemical and other manufacturing plants with discharges. Many with the philosophy of "the solution to pollution is dilution". Why they all get away with it is beyond me.
    Money and jobs I guess.

Next time someone "rants" against "environmentalists" invite them to drink straight from the river.

3. Kentucky Jelly

Kentucky Jelly New Member

State:
    Kentucky

That pretty much sums it up.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    KY Jelly???
    ROTFLMAO! :big_smile::tounge_out:

Welcome to the BOC!

5. sweeter

sweeter New Member

State:
    Western Kentucky
    I live close to Ohio River in Western Ky. and It's sad what has happened to our lovely River!

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    caught it as soon as you said it danzig lol ky jelly

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, had me rolling when I caught it!

Sweeter, Another truth about the Ohio is that as bad as it is, not too awful long ago it was much, much, worse.
    Fish and wildlife have made a surprising come back on the stretch up this way.

8. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    me and you talked on here before i use to work at caterpillar there in huntington we was supposed to fish it. but i moved.im coming in sunday gonna fish kanwaha locks interested?

9. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    We live in Trimble Co. (KY)which is directly across the Ohio River from Madison, In. I was reading the Madison Courier newspaper on Tuesday when I saw the article. Of course, Vern(vlparrish) had just left 5 minutes before to go fishing. Guess where he fishes..........yep, down river from the sewage plant. I was so glad that he didn't bring home any fish and I made him take a bath as soon as he got in the door.
    They tried to get the word out on Friday, but because of a misunderstanding, it wasn't released to the public until about Tuesday. We have a campground directly on the Ohio river. I couldn't believe how many people were out enjoying the weather...boating, sking and fishing. Boy, I sure hope they scrubbed up afterward. YUCK.

http://www.madisoncourier.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=37200&SectionID=4&SubSectionID=&S=1

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sorry Slip, Have to do the father's day thing. Maybe next time.