Ohio River (Pike Island Pool) in WV

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by brew1961, Nov 19, 2008.

1. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Hey all! New to the BOC. I fish the Ohio River (Pike Island Pool) I would greatly appreciate any tips on fishing the Ohio. I think the suttle turns are confusesing to me I can't tell if it is a good bend in the river to fish or not. Give me some tips. We have severial creeks feeding into the Ohio but never have done any good at there mouths. My best spots have been around discharges from power plants. I have just learned about skipjacks and shad for bait and have done well with them this year. I need to get below a dam, Right? Thanks in advanced, Tim

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, you have taken the first major step with your bait choices. I know that when I changed my baits it really had an impact on my fishing.

As for bends, use your fish finder. If there is a drop off and the water is much deeper than the areas around it, then there will be catfish in them holes. Obviously some holes are better than other.

3. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    brother hilljack, Yeah your right! My dad was a great catfisherman we used minnows and shiners. He never knew about skipjacks or shads. Well, back then the Ohio River was a little dirty and maybe skipjacks couldn't survive. I know he is looking down smiling at what I have learned this year. I wish he could go out and see what I have learned. Sorry about the rant, I have BIG catfish fever! Take-Care, Tim

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Also, get yourself a good quality aerator and bucket, catch some bluegills, creek chubs and suckers. Use them alive.

5. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Wolfman, Thanks again for your tips. I have never used blue gills but this comming season I will. Bye the way the old # 9 is it by the Steubenville boat launch? Thanks again, Tim

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    about 5 miles up river from the launch. Look for the concrete walls on both sides of the river. Then look at your fish finder, the bottom should look something like a bunch of tee pees ^^^^^^^

7. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Thanks again Wolfman, this is very good information that I will put to good use! Hopefully I will catch some nice fish! Thanks, Tim