Ohio River out of the salt

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by seahaggy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well just got back from my fishing trip to the Ohio River and Salt River at West Point.Took me awhile to get enough shad. No matter wind was wipping up pretty good and the ohio river was rough i mean white caps on her(scary).So i just messed around up in the salt more or less just practicing with the bait casting net.Still not very good at it so i will blame it on the wind.lol.OK I SUCK.Got fairly wet too which also sucks.The salt is still a little dingy on the color side but the Ohio is clear.Water temps varied here and there but low 60s for the most.Cats ought to be puttin on the feed bag.Around sunset the wind calmed down enough and i made a beeline down river to Otter Creek.(I think thats what it's called so correct me if im wrong) Anyway it's way the hell down river past the first bend and almost to the second on the Kentucky side.I fished till around 9 or a little after (forgot my watch) so if any of you guys saw me and said who's the dumb a-- out on the river this late and on Halloween it was yours truely.Got several bites but they were not really going after it with the intent to pull my rod and reel in which i have expirenced before at this spot.I did manage to haul two in a Blue and a Flathead both around 75 lbs each just kidding!!!! {I WISH} more like FIVE LBS each.With the colder weather filtering in the fish feeding frenzy will pick up and the bluecats will really turn on soon.If you don't mind fishing in the cold say from now till February maybe longer you have a real good chance at a State or even a World Record. I believe those fish are there you just have to be also.

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for the story the ohio river has been a bad river to fish all year with the shad hatch we have had on the ohio river i have never seen so many shad in my life an the river being down for so long with no curent in it this is the only things that seams to be the problem i hope the shad kill for this year is good so the fish will start biten will just have to see what this cold weather brings us

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the fishing was good for me lastnight... caught a 60lb blue on the ohio. took me a while to get her in but she was a butey

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Congrats on the 60 lber.

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Marshall:
    I was sitting in my "river room" last night watching TV and around 11:00 saw the lights of a fishin boat high tailing it up river....looked at my boy friend and said "I wish that was us"...wondering if that person had caught anything. Had to have been you, only fishing boat I saw all night!!!! I'm going out tomorrow, wish me luck! There is a Blue with my name on it.
    Linda

6. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hey Dave
    Congrats on your Blue ! :big_smile:

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yep thats a good Blue a very good Blue in my book [congrats] Hope i can get that kind of action myself next trip.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congrats on a fantastic catch. Way to go.