Ohio River or Bering Sea??

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Jan 8, 2008.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    We got our "Yacht" up and running; packed our gear and headed out yesterday. Strong breeze from the south, but the river seemed really calm. Put in at the Salt, choke still needed some fine tuning, got her fixed and down the river we went with dreams of catfish running through our brains (or what brains we have). We always have a little side bet going on first fish, biggest fish, and most fish. We raised the ante this time since it was our first trip for 2008, $2.00 for first. My boyfriend felt really confident that he was gonna skunk me (I won most of the time in 2007!!!) and off we went. We were working our way down river, got some decent bites, then the wind shifted. As you know, the river has multiple personalities and she can change in an instant. She went from being rather calm to a monster. Decided to go upstream to see if it was any calmer, hugged the IN side. Did I say I was driving!!! To my dismay, she wasn't calmer, but worse. We were struggling to get back up river, then OMG, we have to get from IN to the KY side. Now I have canoed across this section many times; not bad, but she looked like it was 10 miles to cross from one side to the other. Took a deep breath, said a few Hail Mary's and off we went. All I could think was how is that itty bitty prop gonna get us through this. Not too bad until we got in the channel, between the wind and the current, I really had doubts if we were gonna make it. My guardian angel was on my shoulder and we made it across. It took quite awhile for my knees to stop shaking. Fished in the Salt for couple of hours. Nothing, nada not even a bite. Don't care though, we made it back. Another huge learning experience for us!!!! She is a different beast in the winter. To those who brave the elements and go out in the winter; please be safe.

Linda

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Linda,
    Glad you made it back in one piece. Take care...W

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The Yacht of the Port of West Point is a 14 ft 1960 v-hull aluminum boat with a 1970 9.9 Johnson Tiller motor. It is perfect for us...goes slow enough to enjoy the river bank yet fast enough to get us where we are going, unless you are fighting the current and wind the way I was Monday. However, she got us where we we needed to go, and safely.
    Attached is pic...
    Linda

Attached Files:

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Linda reminds me of a few of those trips on her myself.Takes a while just to calm back down.Believe it or not when i first started fishing the Ohio around West Point i used a 12' aluminum with a 9.9.By the time my friend and i got in with all of our gear we were about 4'' out of the water.God had to be rollin with laughter.We stayed nervous the whole time especially when she was up.I lost alot of hair back then.Even now with the 16' big jon when it's windy i think twice.:0a5: Thats the way i feel she is scary but amazing.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know what you mean Linda, we got caught about a month ago, water went from flat as a lake, to 3 to 4 ft white caps! Plus we were in a bass boat that sat about 12 inches out of the water, and had to run from cincinnati to lawrencburg to get back, man was I fully prepared to swim. Thank god we made it back safe, she sure is a beast when she wants to be. Don't respect her and you might be on your last fishing trip...:embarassed: