Ohio River on Saturday

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Monsterkat11, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    me and a few friends are heading down to the meldahl dam once again on saturday, same spot. if you guys have any advice for me like bait, or where to fish around that wall from the shore, let me know!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

If I was you I would head down river more and fish more in the downtown area..I havent heard to much about alot of fish being caught below Meldahl, could be wrong, but I think you would have better luck right off the sea walls downtown..As far as bait goes, I have never had any luck with goldfish on the river..Cut shad is what they have been hitting on as of late..Good luck.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I would have to use shad, live or cut, either way I dont think you could go wrong. Last saturday the blues were simply tearing the shad up, both cut and live. I fished a small local tournament, placed second with big fish(32 pound blue) with a total weight of 70 pounds. Get you some shad and i think you will land a hog. Let us know how you do!! rspd507

4. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Good luck to you. Don`t forget about tring some skipjack also.:wink:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Definatley would stay away from meldahl, especially Ohio side. Its so grown up there with vegetation its hard to get down there. Like a previous poster said, it is definatley on below the city right now, and has been that way all year in my opinion. I would have to agree, if you want a better chance of a nicer catch, head for the city.

6. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the reply guys. could on of you guys send me directions to the sea wall? i have no clue where it is. or what it is for that matter. also, how should i go about getting shad without a cast net...or boat :(

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Buddy it would be real hard to get shad without a net. You don't need a boat, but that net is real inportant. You can pick one up at walmart for under 20 bucks, and trust me its worth its weight in gold!