Ohio River Nov 4th West point, KY

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Steve Douglas, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    daaaamm, what a day to be fishing the ohio river , i found a spot early today trying to stay out of the wind ,it was not to bad where i was at ,i caught alot of heavy fish including a 82.3 lb.er a tournament fishermans dream over 225 lbs. .fish bit steady until about noon . THEN the real drama starts.wind really starts to pic up , hard to keep the boat straight so i desided to leave got about a mile up stream and encounter 4 to 6 ft. swells . get almost to the ramp , im holden my own , then out of nowhere comes this rogue wave over the front of my boat fills the intire cavity with water ,broke my windsheild off into my head .,took my hat ., soaked my cell fone, not to mention the waters cold. after regrouping i turned my bilge pump on kept the nose in the air and made it back, with a newfound respect for the mighty ohio river . one minute shes good to you, the next minute she try to kill you.

NOTE ;;; RANGER BOATS ACTUALY DO STAY A FLOAT FILLED TO RIM WITH WATER

EVEN IF YOUR A SEASONED BOATER LIKE MY SELF OF 20 YEARS, DONT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN , IT MADE ME REVIEW MY BOATING SKILLS AGAIN......
    by the way i do have some fotos of my big fish but i dont know how to download them , again my fone got wet all my contacts like jw or eric are in it maybe some one could pm the procedure to me.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Awesome catching! Glad you made it in safely since it could have been a very tragic situation. Thank God for watching over you and for unsinkable boats!

Let me know if you still need help with posting photos; I will be more than happy to help.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Just so everyone knows, photos can be uploaded here directly from your computer without having to post elsewhere and then posting a link.

Its the poster's choice.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Glad you made it out of the river ok Steve.

Now Here is the Pic you have all been waiting for. Congratulations on a real fine catch Steve. 82.3 lbs ain't nothing to sneeze at buddy.

5. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    i went down river from salt river about 3or 4 miles iwas fishin 35ft of water beleive it or not , it was bottom of the freezer, froze used and froze again and again skip jack , it just goes to show you fresh is good BUT OLD BAIT works also. but after today im defineltly out of bait.

6. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    hey thanks jw. when my fone drys out ill let you explain how you did that

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Steve,
    Nice fish, nice job. Glad you survived...W

8. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Steve,
    Congrats on the excellent day of fishing. Sorry to hear about your boat. I guess that just goes to show that no matter how much river experience we have, that one should never get to comfortable out there. Glad that you were not hurt. Again, congrats on the 82 pounder. rspd507

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You don't have to do anything wrong, sometimes the river just decides to act a fool and tries to get ya. You should never turn your back on the Ohio or get complacent in you actions, that is when she will turn on ya!!!

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on a fine fish Steve. Glad to hear you won the battle with the Ohio also. She can be a nasty beast when she wants to be.

11. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    dude i was going up river into the waves most were navigatable but the next one was huge it came right over the front of the boat must have been 6 ft tall but this was not a swell this was a wall of water ive never incountered one like this it came out of nowhere it happened so quick ,wasnt nothing i could have done to avoided it just wanted to remind folks that there are real dangers when you mess with the vastness of the ohio river even the most skilled boaters can sometimes forget ,please have fun but be on your toes.

12. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It was like that thursday when i went there.I went to her out of the salt then chickened out just looked to mean so i waited for the wind to die down which it did couple hours before dark.By the way when i did get back to the boat ramp i ran into a couple good ole boys.One of those boys said he had caught one around 80lbs eairler in the week right off of a dock.Said he lives there at west point and fishes alot.Told me some good stories of giant fish he has seen or heard off himself.My kind of people CATFISHERMAN!!!

13. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    paul you can increase your chances of a new personal best if you get away from the dam go down stream 20 miles or so and locate your barge blowouts and throw a half of a skipp jack in the hole and you should be able to nail a 50 lber or better

14. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Great fish Steve.............you're right about how that Ohio can get.....Keeo in touch...

15. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    paul a barge blow out is where the barge will make a turn in the river .causing the capt to exelarate to make the turn.the force of the water keeps the bottom blown out craeting a hole great place to fish .my big fish yesterday came from a blow out .your also rite barge capts.do have the rite of way only makes sence most of the time theyll let you know if your in there way also barge traffic can be your freind.alot of times as the barge comes through it turns the fish on and youll get bit. good luck

16. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    paul thats why you need to go down river get away from the industrail areas,youll find alot of good holes .the dam area can be good but mostly in the early part of the year,with this last flood most of the scatterd fish have again grouped up close to their wintering holes which are 9 times out of 10 away from the dam . the barge port around louisville do hold some fish year round and keep you busy but if your looking to beat your pb though ,go down river and find your deeper water. from west point at the salt river access down river to branenburg its about 11 -13miles youll find lot of places a trophy cat will reside,(TIP )-STEP AWAY FROM THE DAM- try to venture further down stream . come on down where the biggins live maybe ill see ya there.
    GOOD LUCK

17. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    We were out on the salt that day, I may have saw ya. We were at the mouth of the Salt checking out the Ohio, decided against going down river. We didn't want to rough it. Bout that time a Ranger boat comes through & I'm thinking... There's a bad mammy jammy. He parked on the Salt ramp & had the bilge pump on. Was about 2-3:00pm I think.

Any old way... Glad you're ok. Fantastic catch BTW. :worship:

18. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That's a heck of a catch. How long did it take for you to land it??

19. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    First of all, thank God you made it back OK. Second, way to go!! What an awesome fish. I also saw you come back on Sunday...I was down on my neighbors dock trying to figure out how to secure my boat to keep the River from taking her down. MONSTER WAVES. Saw 2 boats coming in thinking OMG, I hope they are going to make it OK. Should have known it would be a BOC brother. :0a20:

20. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thats one hog of a fish thanks for sharing:big_smile: