Ohio River @ mound city

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by noah, Jun 28, 2008.

1. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    has anyone done any good at mound city this year:cool2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Noah the fishing is best at Mounds City when they are loading the barges with grain.

3. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah i was there earlier this season an had no luck but i didnt know with the water high if there would be any luck like i said i live in herrin and gas is way to much just to mounds and have no luck if you know what i mean but then again i will never know if i dont get down there i would love to get a car load and take off down there :cool2:

4. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    Fish when the water at 30 feet and under at Mounds City....River is to high now.

5. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah i was plannin a trip there in about a month or so:cool2: so i am tryin to see how many people to go

6. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    You ever fish there befor?

7. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah we usualy go alot but since gas has went up i havent been there in a long while but this will b the first time on bank usualy we ancor the boat to the barges with magets and fill up a few coolers:cool2: but we havent been there but once this year but not to fish

8. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    Today I heard from someone who know someone who had heard from someone that the the river at Mound City was at 38 ft. and the catfish were starting to bite.:confused2::smile2:

9. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    sweet good deal looks like i might be takeing a road trip here before 2 long:tounge_out::cool2::big_smile::tounge_out:

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Noah my uncle is the terminal manager there at CGB there in Mound City. Thats the barge loading place further up river closer right above the city ramp and I was talking to him the other day and he said that him and a couple co workers were fishing off of one of the barges when they got done loading it and caught a bunch of catfish. He didnt tell me how many but he said it was one after another. Another place I used to love to fish as a kid with my grandpa and we always did real well was right below town before you get to where the docks are for the jeffleet tugboats there was a real real deep hole and we used to always catch one small blue after another there this time of year. I hope this helps. I used to live there when I was a kid and we had to move away due to dad getting a promotion. I still have tons of family there. One of which who owns that drug store there in town. And my grandpas name can be found on the commercial fishermans memorial. Paul Dover. Hands down in my eyes the greatest catfusherman I have ever known. And I definately owe my love of catfishing to him.

11. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    hey you have been ever so helpful i highly appreciate the help i live in herrin and mound city is so far away and with gas prices so high i cant afford to go down there as much as i would like but i am definitly going down there some time this week or the begining of next week did they say if there was any bank left were the ramp is at cgb that is were i usualy go but yeah i will look for that name next time i go and if i think of it i will take a picture and post it or just send it to you but like i said i will go either this weekend or next week an i would love for you to go since you used to live there and know the area you can show me other places to go while i go there through out the year :cool2::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Noah, sounds like some good advice, good luck fishing

13. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    :cool2::smile2::smile2:thats kinda what i was thinking lol yeah i realy want to make it down there

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Noah I dont know if there is still any bank there at the ramp right now or not. But I didn't know you were fishing on the bank or I wouldve told you about two other bank spots that I used to fish when I visited and always did decent. The first one is up above CGB on that sand bar by the woods. But with the water up that sandbar might be under water. ALways pulled up some real fat fish from where they were feeding on grain. And my favorite bank spot is if you go on the levee by the ramp turn to go down the levee towards ADM grain elevator and drive on past it and to the end of the levee, you will find a flood gate at the end and instead of going through it turn towards the river, you will see where it used to look like some old place they put barges in the river. And actually they did because that was an old ship building place, Walk down the shoot looking things down to the water. Thats always been real kind to me. A lot of locals like to fish there. I used to get a dozen or two nightcrawlers when I would be at home visiting and go down there and burn up Plump Channels......And if you walk down the bank a few hundred yards you will come to the mouth of the cache river as well. Thats the only place my grandpa and I ever seemed to consistantly catch big flats at. And that spot can be fished from the bank if the water is down a bit. Man there are so many spots on that river I remember from when I was a kid I could make fifty more replies. I wish I had time to come down there and visit my family for one and to fish. I probably at the earliest wont be able to make it down there until at least november. If I could be there tomorrow I would. :embarassed:

15. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    sweet!:big_smile: yeah when you are able to get down there get ahold of me will go with ya i am highly thinking about takeing the four wheeler with me when i go and seeing how far i can get going north and south there behind cgb on the bank the only thing is packing all my gear lol i guess i can take my lawnmower trailer :smile2: but anyway it goes i need to go down and scout it i have a four wheel drive but i dont know how far that will take me on the bank :smile2: i wanna take my boat but i am afraid it is to small it is a 15 foot stinger crappie boat it is skinny but i am backed by a 2008 yamaha 25 i mean its fast but skinny if i do take it it will go from the ramp straight to the barge under the convayer if the hook up to the barge i will go south to i think there is a old silo or something righ there but i have to order magnets first to dock to the barge:smile2: when i go i will for sure update with picks and catches but i will let you know

16. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    I have seen people out there in 12 foot jon boats so your boat will work just fine.....let me know when your coming down and i may got my boat out to.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah if i ever do make it down that way again to visit i would definately be bringing my little 14 ft jon boat just beacue of gas prices because i wouldnt want to haul the big Deep V we have. that would kill me in gas. or now that i think of it, i could just borrow my uncles boat when i get there. yeah i think i will do that instead.

18. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    well it should be some time this week depending on weather if anything leave me a pm with your number and i will give you a call on my way were are you comeing from:cool2::smile2:

19. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    that will be pretty cool i cant hardly wait i was wanting to drop a trotline while im there jus to see how it will do in the currant :crazy: but yeah we will a day out of it or if we r doing that good we will also make a night of it hell yeah i want some cats in the freezer:cool2::cool2::wink::smile2:
    and i thank howards is wanting to go as well:cool2::big_smile: