Ohio River Markland Pool Conditions and Around Tanners

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunter24, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was thinkin about going down this weekend at some point to Tanners Creek to put in and do some fishing. The weather is supposed to be nice friday and saturday but I wondered with the rain and what not if anyone knew what the river was lookin like?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    At 33 ft ( cinci gauge) Tanners doesnt hardly have a ramp, youll have to back through parking lot until boat floats off. basically a little bit high.:wink: It is fishable but with river coming up, Id expect a ton of wood in the water and ripp'n current.
    If your not experienced at high water boating on the Ohio, Id hold off.
    Thats roughly 6-7 ft above summer levels.
    Salmonid

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We hit Tanner's on Monday, Cincinnati was at 36ft and there was plenty of ramp at Tanner's, looks like it will crest Saturday at around 33ft, and fall hard on Sunday. it got down right hectic out there on us at the end of the day Monday. We actually had a huge log jam hit us head on while we were anchored, and smaller vessel would have been in real trouble, we were lucky to escape unscaved. Just be careful, Mark is right always use caution if you are new to fast water, but 33ft isnt super fast. I would imagine if it is coming up again all of the garbage will make its way downstream by Sunday so just be careful. Like the other poster said its fishable. I am nuts so its always fishable:eek:oooh::smile2:...lol Look for currrent breaks for best results. Good luck and be safe out there..:wink:

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah thanks for all the advice. I have a smaller version of your boat i think T Bull. its an '86 17 ft sea nymph

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just reread my post and tbull is right, I was thinking that the ramp is pretty much gone at 33 but I was meaning 35 ft. Getting my gauges and river heights mixed up. So much water, not enough time, ( well, money really) then the time thing comes into play:eek:oooh:

Salmonid

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cool! Is it a Deep V hull? I had never even noticed Sea Nymph's before until I got mine, I like the boat, my biggest dislike is the rivets. My next boat will definatley be all welded.

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    yeah i have heard negative things about rivets, but she seems to be doin fine and in good shape. Yes it is a deep V. Seems to ride well in rougher water.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good deal man, I havent had any problems yet, I guess I would just rather have the piece of mind ya know? That boat should be more than enough for the river in any condition except for 4 to 5 ft whitecaps! LOL Then the barges are the only ones who are safe...LMAO!:smile2::wink:

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Curtis, I was the guy out on the bow of Tbull's boat monday when that 20 ft wide mass of logs hit us. We seen it way upstream, started clearing rods off the back, and it was on us in less than a minute. Rode the anchor rope right up to the bow, then started dragging the anchor for close to 30 ft downstream. It pushed us into the really fast water, and near another Barge tie off tower. Then the anchor caught good on some rocks and that whole "mass" started to pull the bow down into the current. The back of the boat got sucked just enough into the eddy that I was able to push all the logs off to one side and free us lol. All happened within 3 minutes. Be careful out there.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Shoot.....Skip's the best emergency log jam clearer offer I have ever seen!:smile2::wink:

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, me and mellon had that same thing happen 1 time durring a pouring rainstorm,in the middle of last Winter, darn good thing the anchor slid along the bottom and didnt get stuck, I tried pushing it ( Huge tree) around the boat with the push pole and that finally worked but it was one of those rather intense "pucker" moments Id rather not experience again. Push pole in one hand, knife in the other....afterwards, we decided it would have been best to just cut and run...:eek:oooh:

Be careful ot there guys, and its amazing how 1 minute something is 1/2 a mile upstream and the next, its rolling up the anchor rope and pulling the bow down... I only feel slightly better since water temps are now tolerable to make a shoreward swim where when ours happened, the water was like 38-39 degrees.

Salmonid

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info on the river guys. I was thinking of heading down there today but after reading the post I think I will head over to Brookville Lake instead.